Question HDMI port in laptop not working

asatora

Reputable
Jan 16, 2019
Hello!

I purchased an asus 4k monitor to use with my laptop. when plugging in, the monitor didn't receive any signal from the laptop, so I bought a new HDMI cable. It didn't work either so instead I tested the display with other PCs and it actually worked fine. So I guess the HDMI port in my laptop is defective. But it's weird, it doesn't simply ignores the display, it actually shows up in the display settings: the model name, the resolution, the HDR option, even in the volume mixer, since it has speakers. But it won't display any image whatsoever, from the display side is like there isn't a machine hooked up. It actually worked with a HDMI to USB converter but it's horrible so I need to make the HDMI port work somehow. I tried different drivers and system updates but nothing worked. I'd like to know at least if it's something wrong in the software side or if the actual HDMI port is defective...

Laptop: Acer nitro 5 An515-43-r4c3
Display: ASUS VG289Q1A Gaming Monitor, 4K Monitor, TUF Gaming

The Radeon graphics driver is the one listed on acer's webpage since the actual most up to date driver performs worse and doesn't even fix the problem...

Any help is appreciated 😌

Mod edit;
This is a family friendly site, mind your language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if you've got any updates pending for your OS. Following that, make sure your BIOS for your laptop is also up to date. Once those two are done, use DDU to remove all remnants of your GPU drivers and then manually reinstall your GPU driver with the latest sourced form GPU maker's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Reactions: asatora

asatora

Reputable
Jan 16, 2019
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if you've got any updates pending for your OS. Following that, make sure your BIOS for your laptop is also up to date. Once those two are done, use DDU to remove all remnants of your GPU drivers and then manually reinstall your GPU driver with the latest sourced form GPU maker's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Hello and thanks for the swift response!

Did all that
No pending win 10 updates
Bios was same as latest version of acer's site
Rebooted in safe mode and used DDU
Went to AMD's site and downloaded the latest stable driver for the Ryzen 7 3750H
Installed as admin

Unfortunately nothing changed but I think I must add that adrenalin also detects the display

unknown.png