HDMI Sound Not Working

Andrew_159

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
I've already browsed extensively for a solution to this problem, and it continues to irk me.

The HDMI picture is live, but the audio function of the HDMI connection is not showing up in my Sound Playback Devices. I already checked to make sure I'm showing disabled and disconnected devices. I have also gone to the Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. One out of 10 times that I use my laptop, the HDMI shows up there, but still, I have to go all the way to the Device Manager to activate the damn thing.

I am running an intel CORE i7 processor on an HP Envy.

Please help!

Solution
this seems like a driver issue, download the latest audio driver for your laptop model. if it doesn't work try installing a driver for another windows version, 7,8,10.

frank_hnd

Honorable
are you using any kind of adapter or native HDMI to HDMI connection?
does the monitor you are using has audio or are you connecting to a TV?
have you tried configuring the audio settings with the software included with your audio card (update to latest drivers).

Andrew_159

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

I'm not using any adapter, just the HDMI between my laptop and the TV.
My laptop does have audio, yes, so right now I'm watching How I Met Your Mother through the TV but hearing it through my laptop.
I don't know anything about the audio settings/audio card... what should I try in regards to that?

frank_hnd

Honorable
this should be able to help you out: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-hdmi-monitor-has-no-sound-after-windows-10-upgrade/

*please note the part that explains the following:
If you do not see the Digital Output Device or HDMI option in the Playback tab, right click on the blank place, then click Show disconnected devices and Show disabled devices on the context menu. Then set it as default device.

Andrew_159

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

As I mentioned in my original post, I've made sure to show all disabled and disconnected devices in the playback devices window. No dice.

Andrew_159

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
I only have one HDMI cable, so no, I haven't.

I just clicked Show Hidden Devices in the Device Manager window, and the HDMI cable showed up under Audio Inputs and Outputs, but when I clicked on it I got this error message:

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

So, obviously I unplugged and re-plugged the cable into both devices, but that didn't work either... this is so irritating.