cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I am going to purchase an HDMI splitter for my computer. My goal is to play movies on my primary monitor (im using dual monitors) and have my HDTV mirror these images. So basically I want to watch movies played on my PC on my TV.

So if I want to maintain dual monitor capabilities as well as watch my movies (played from the primary pc monitor) on my TV (I guess I want my TV to mirror the movies from PC) what is the best way to do this. I have 3 things needed to connect to my PC (2 monitors, 1 TV)..so I need a splitter.

If I want to load/play movies on primary monitor and then have the TV mirror this...would I:

1. Unplug primary monitor, plug in splitter, and then connect both the primary monitor/tv to splitter (leaving the secondary computer monitor where it is)
2. Unplug both monitors...plug in splitter, plug both monitors into splitter, and plug the tv hdmi dircectly into the PC?

Sorry this probably sounds confusing..but I want the easiest way to go from viewing dual monitors to watching movies on my TV. I dont want to have to go through 10 steps to configure resolutions and all that BS everytime. I have no experience w/this so please help. THANKS!

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Will I have any problems with my computer having all three devices plugged into it at all times since it only "supports" two. I will only use the TV to watch movies from my computer rarely, all other times my TV will function on its own.

I have ways of getting around copyright and what not. Are you sure I need to do option 1? So I want to have the tv and the monitor its going to mirror both on the splitter?

Also...how to I get my monitor to mirror onto my tv? Ive read you have to change resolutions and stuff?

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
So you are saying if I have my splitter going from computer...plug in primary monitor/tv and then I can load media center onto the primary and the same signal will go to the TV? What about getting full resolution etc?

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Well to be more specific, I own a NVIDIA GTX 460 graphics card. It has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI mini outputs...I currently have my 2 monitors connected via DVI and the TV connected via HDMI mini. I know that it doesn't support three devices at the same time, for instance I can only have 2 monitors on at once, or 1 monitor and the TV at one time because it will automatically shut the third device off.

Currently I have to either use dual monitor setup or primary monitor and TV. If I buy an HDMI splitter, will it allow me to have all three devices connected and on at the same time? For instance, If i connect the Primary Monitor/TV up to the splitter (which will be directly connected to PC) and the second monitor connected as is...can I have dual independent monitors running as well as have the TV mirror the primary monitor? Will I be able to have all three devices running at once even though this gpu wont support it?

I just want my TV to mirror primary monitor and have the second monitor be independent for dual-monitor usage. So is this possible? Primary/TV mirrored and secondary monitor independent (to use for dual-monitor usage)

GTX 460

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Thats what I thought but some people think that since my primary monitor and my TV arent the same resolution it won't work?

Also..the only thing holding me back is the fact that when I right click on my NVIDIA contrl panel in order to change from "dualview" to "clone" it only gives combinations of 2 devices (Monitor 1 + Monitor 2, Monitor 1 + TV etc)...so when I split the signal how then would it know to have the TV and Monitor 1 on same signal/clone and have Monitor 2 as an independent?

How simple would it be to buy a video card specifically to plug my TV into...nothing fancy just the bare minimum to support its HD?

In order for the splitter to work both the monitor and the TV will be using the same resolution; the highest common resolution they both support.

Your PC will NOT know there are two items connected through the splitter.

A second video card can cause problems, so if you want to go that route purchase a card that supports three simultaneous devices.