[SOLVED] HDMI switch/splitter that remembers display configurations

Feb 23, 2021
I'm having issues finding an HDMI switch that will remember my display configuration. The DVI input isn't working anymore in one of my monitors so I need to find an affordable way to put two HDMI cables into one switch, but also remember the display configuration when I switch between the two. So far what I've seen on amazon are switches that only sends the signal, but doesn't remember configurations. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place though. Can anyone advise on an affordable, but solid HDMI switch that takes two inputs and puts them into display while retaining display configuration on both computers? I appreciate any help!

Solution
I've seen example reviews on amazon like this so it makes me think it's something I need to watch out for.

image.png

This has nothing to do with what you seem to want to do. You have one system and want to go to two screens. This is two laptops going to one screen. And the issue is not with the switch but simply with the laptops. When the external screen is disconnected, the laptop only sees it's own screen, so it sets it as the main screen, and then sends all the icons to that. When this guy swaps the output to the second screen it just sees the screen as a secondary one. It's not the fault of the product but of how this person is not understanding how things work.

You did not really...

kanewolf

Titan
I'm having issues finding an HDMI switch that will remember my display configuration. The DVI input isn't working anymore in one of my monitors so I need to find an affordable way to put two HDMI cables into one switch, but also remember the display configuration when I switch between the two. So far what I've seen on amazon are switches that only sends the signal, but doesn't remember configurations. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place though. Can anyone advise on an affordable, but solid HDMI switch that takes two inputs and puts them into display while retaining display configuration on both computers? I appreciate any help!
What do you mean by "remember the configuration"? That is generally a computer thing and has nothing to do with the display.

I've seen example reviews on amazon like this so it makes me think it's something I need to watch out for.

image.png

This has nothing to do with what you seem to want to do. You have one system and want to go to two screens. This is two laptops going to one screen. And the issue is not with the switch but simply with the laptops. When the external screen is disconnected, the laptop only sees it's own screen, so it sets it as the main screen, and then sends all the icons to that. When this guy swaps the output to the second screen it just sees the screen as a secondary one. It's not the fault of the product but of how this person is not understanding how things work.

You did not really say what you are connecting, you have two laptops that you want going to one screen or one laptop to the screen? Also you want a switch as in going from one monitor to another or you need to have them both display at the same time?

Some info about what you have and how it's setup would help here.

Solution