HDMI to component

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Really quick and easy question, I have a friend who has old wiring in his house, component to his TV. About 50 feet away (through the walls) he has a blu ray player. That died and the new one he got only has an HDMI output. I suggested he get an HDMI to component converter and he thought they didn't exist. A quick search turned up this:

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRV-Component-Converter-%C2%A0Windows%C2%A010/dp/B00J22LGYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456806061&sr=8-1&keywords=HDMI+to+component

I think that will work for my purposes but thought I'd ask really quick if anyone has used this before, specifically, with copyright protection, etc if there will be any problems.

I want to go blu ray player > HDMI cable > Converter unit > component to the TV.

Is that possible? Will audio work as well? Any copyright issues with the older cable tech or unknown issues I'll have? Thank you.

Solution
The short answer is yes, and no. It seems to support up to the older standard of HDMI 1.3. Newer Blu Ray players are usually 1.4 or higher. The HDCP is an issue as well. Basically it might work, it might not, or worse he may put in a Blu-Ray one day that updates the HDCP keys in the player, and locks it out. Its a gamble.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The short answer is yes, and no. It seems to support up to the older standard of HDMI 1.3. Newer Blu Ray players are usually 1.4 or higher. The HDCP is an issue as well. Basically it might work, it might not, or worse he may put in a Blu-Ray one day that updates the HDCP keys in the player, and locks it out. Its a gamble.

Solution