[SOLVED] HDMI to SPDIF Audio/Video Issues - MSI RADEON 5700 XT

Apr 13, 2020
Hi,

Hoping i can figure out a resolution to this issue. I have an MSI RADEON 5700 XT card. My motherboard itself (MSI b450i Gaming Plus AC), doesnt have an SPDIF out port, only your normal stereo. So i purchased the below:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KW5MXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works for its intended purpose, and provides me with the 5.1 sound for my gaming system. Unfortunately though, it picks up the hardware as another monitor. If i show only my screen to my actual monitor... i lose the audio option as well. If i just duplicate whats on my screen, i lose the 144 refresh rate of my gaming monitor. I disabled generic monitor (what the hardware comes up as) in device manager, but it still shows up as another monitor.

So im looking to have the 5.1 surround sound, and keep my refresh rate of my actual monitor. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this with my current setup? If not, what would i need.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Maybe look into issues running multiple refresh rates and pretend you do have a second screen at 60Hz.

Custom resolution utility might help.

Try 120Hz? See what happens if Freesync is disabled.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your monitor and audio setup?

It's tricky with devices like that in a single line, as it, and similarly AVR's, create a phantom display as you have found. In case with AVR, people with faster refresh rate monitor run multiple display cables to deal with the multiple monitor situation while having sound where it's meant to go and retain refresh rate.

Try keep it simple, as best you can i reckon. Depending on your sound setup, analog jacks could be an option. Something tells me it's not though. A sound card could be the best way out of this.

If Dolby Digital Live real time encoding over optical interests you, there are sound cards with it like,

See specs on DDL and what it does.

Apr 13, 2020
i have an MSI Optiz MAG27C that i run through a DP. A sound card is not an option as this is a mATX board and theres no slot/space for a sound card. My speakers are Logitech Z 5500. Bought these years ago for all digital surround sound gaming.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well then, analog jacks?. You wont notice any different anyhow, not even the slightest. Only difference is the word digital.

You'll also get better sound via analog because you can actually EQ onboard audio, unlike graphic cards.

Apr 13, 2020
The MB has 1 stereo out (3.5mm) jack. I had it connected before i bought this device, but the sound is no where near as good.

i prefer analog sound (records) over digital in general, but in this case, its a night and day difference for its intended purpose.

Im reading in the motherboard manual that 7.1 surround sound is indeed possible (see below), but this just doesnt make sense to me, as the rear already has the stereo out jack... and so does the front io port. What would i connect where. Analog wires that came with the sound system are green, black, and orange.

Audio 7.1-channel Configuration
To configure 7.1-channel audio, you have to connect front audio I/O module to JAUD1 connector and follow the below steps. 1. Click on the Realtek HD Audio Manager > Advanced Settings to open the dialog below. 2. Select Mute the rear output device, when a front headphone plugged in. 3. Plug your speakers to audio jacks on rear and front I/O panel. When you plug into a device at an audio jack, a dialogue window will pop up asking you which device is current connected.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What motherboard is it?

For 7.1 to work, 4 jacks is needed. If 7.1 is possible then the motherboard's rear jacks can at least do 5.1?

Motherboard rear is usually;
Green: fronts
Orange: centre and sub
black: rears

Motherboards can have additional jacks for side pairs making it 7 or if not, use the case front panel header instead for that additional jack.

Apr 13, 2020
i only want 5.1 Surround. I just mentioned 7.1 as that is what the manual states is possible. Motherboard is MSI b450i Gaming Plus AC.

Rear ports are Blue, Green, Pink. ( Line In, Line Out, Mic In)

Front IO are Mic in and Line Out. (no colors)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah just seen. Sorry again, missed you mentioned of your motherboard earlier to see that you're pcie slot limited and wouldn't have suggested a sound card lol.

It's a pickle. Im wondering if in Realtek HD audio manager, when connecting to all three rear jacks whether you're able to assign the blue and pink jacks to the designated speakers.

Apr 13, 2020
Line in and mic in?
when i did have all 3 in it just detected a new source. Only thing that gives me sound is Green (Line Out)

Still trying to understand how you can get surround sound with the way the manual explains it.

this is just frustrating :(

Apr 13, 2020
So using Custom Resolution Utility... basically cloning my Monitors Settings to the HDMI device, while keeping the audio settings the same fixed the issue. I can now have a duplicate monitor setup (with only 1 real monitor lol), while keeping my 144hz refresh and audio all in tact. Took a little fiddling with to get it all right, but i am now a happy man. Thanks!