HDMI to TV connection not working - no signal

lilmatt757

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
I tried changing over my cases on my computer, which before hand was working completely fine with the tv through the hdmi cable. It no longer shows any signal on the tv, even after i tried countless things ive found on the internet. It still didnt work after i changed it back over to its original case, either.

Ive only got a hdmi cable, so i cant check if the motherboards dvi or vga ports would work, i can only try the graphics cards' hdmi port.

I cant even get the specs because i dont know them, or the computers model. All i know is its running windows 10, a radeon graphics card, and 6GB of ram.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Solution
UPDATE: It turns out i moved one of the clips holding two of the three pins on one of the 3pin things by mistake and mustve put it back in the wrong place. I moved it back to where it shouldve been and now im getting a screen telling me to install an OS into the hard drive, which wasnt connected anyway. Gonna reconnect it and see what happens.

After reconnecting it im getting the HP logo again, so everything seems to be working now.

Mark RM

Admirable
Any chance you can pick up an HDMI to DVI converter dongle at a dollar store? Then at least you could strip down the system and test the motherboard only.

But to make sure it's the PCthat's the problem, have you tried a different HDMI cable ? Does the TV work with HDMI inputs from other stuff? switched the HDMI port you are using on the TV?

lilmatt757

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017

Its not the cable, thats for sure. It worked just fine before, although i dont actually have any other device i could test it with. Ive switched the ports and still nothing.and i cant pick up a converter at the moment, and i wont be able to until monday.

Mark RM

Admirable
Well you need a known provable good cable and known good monitor/tv

then you take everything off the motherboard and begin the troubleshooting process.

Until you have the correct way of attaching the mobo to a known good screen, we can't even diagnose or guess what's going on.

lilmatt757

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
The tv is working fine, and the cable is working fine. Both of them were used only hours before with the exact same computer. Nothing has changed in the tv or the cable or the computer. Everything is the same now as it was before. The tv and cable both do work.

lilmatt757

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
So youre saying i do need to get a vga or dvi cable after all? Thats the only other way it will connect to the tv unless by some miracle i can use a usb cable. Is there absolutely nothing i can do with only the hdmi cable?

lilmatt757

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Figured as much with the usb.
I dont even know anywhere nearby that has a vga cable or dvi cable. I guess i just have to hope i have one hidden away in some box somewhere. Ah well, thanks for your help. Ill update ya if anything happens.

lilmatt757

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Update: found a vga cable tucked away in a box, so i removed the graphics card, and plugged the cable into the vga port on the motherboard, but that didnt work either, still no signal. My conclusions are 1. The vga cable is faulty, or 2. Ive connected something inside the computer incorrectly.

lilmatt757

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
UPDATE: It turns out i moved one of the clips holding two of the three pins on one of the 3pin things by mistake and mustve put it back in the wrong place. I moved it back to where it shouldve been and now im getting a screen telling me to install an OS into the hard drive, which wasnt connected anyway. Gonna reconnect it and see what happens.

After reconnecting it im getting the HP logo again, so everything seems to be working now.

Solution

lilmatt757

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Yep, everythings working fine again, and its all because one tiny little clip wasnt where it was supposed to be. But either way, thanks for your help Mark RM, i appreciate it.