nikhilmitta

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Hi,

Does such a thing exist?
I bought (a made in China) one and it doesn't work.
My monitor has only VGA in and I want to use my Raspberry Pi with it. What are the alternatives?
I hope to return it tomorrow and want to know if I should try another one of these cables.

Thanks.

Solution
They make RCA to VGA adapters and both are analog signal so that may work out better for you.

I assume you mean the raspberry Pi, but I have no experience with one.

Best bet go into local video shop ask for a cable to go from RCA to VGA and see what they tell you.

Of course, the quality of the image is going to depend on what res the output is and what res the device takes, that can get tricky, but
you'll have to figure that out if it becomes an issue.

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Doubtful HDMI is a digital interface, and VGA is an analog interface so generally you would need an active device to convert the signals.
If it was possible you 'd have to be able to set the HDMI signal to an analog one which is possible in some devices, but it degrades quality when you do. You could get HDMI to DVI though if that's an option for you.

What are you doing exactly?

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
They make RCA to VGA adapters and both are analog signal so that may work out better for you.

I assume you mean the raspberry Pi, but I have no experience with one.

Best bet go into local video shop ask for a cable to go from RCA to VGA and see what they tell you.

Of course, the quality of the image is going to depend on what res the output is and what res the device takes, that can get tricky, but
you'll have to figure that out if it becomes an issue.

Solution

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I don't follow this device very closely but I have seen posts on their forums about issues using the HDMI to VGA converters. If I remember correctly there was discussion of setting some parameter in some file to make it work. They do make RCA to VGA converters but those are much more complex than the HDMI to VGA ones.

nikhilmitta

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I actually tested out the cable on the desktop and it failed, so its either a cable issue or such cables do not exist. Fom you post I gather they do exist.

I hope I will resolve this issue tomorrow. Will post back. If anyone wants to add, please do.

Thanks.

nikhilmitta

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I have been looking at cables for a couple of days and my conclusion is

1) The HDMI to VGA cable is fake. They don't work.
2) There is a cable and adapter combo that will do the job but it draws about 500mA whereas a diode in the circuit os rated at only 200mA. The HDMI cable is rated at 50mA.
3) There is a similar cable / adapter that needs its own power supply. This will do the job but is too expensive for the Raspberry Pi

Thanks for all your inputs.

abigailcable133

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
HDMI is digital and VGA is analog. If you are looking to go from HDMI to VGA you will need an active converter that does digital to analog video signal conversion. I would recommend checking Part # SCA-HD-VGA-UN.