Question Hdmi to vga locked resolution

Mar 25, 2019
Hello everyone
Recently i recieved a really really weak pc from someone and decided to upgrade it , since then i only baught a gt 1030 for the pc (i know its weak but im on a budget) and when i braught the 1030 and installed it into the case i realized that my monitor only supports vga . I went back and baught a k-net hd-conversion hdmi to vga adapter to connect it to my monitor and it worked,kinda . Since then my resolution is maxed out at 1280x720 but my monitor is capable of 1600x900 .
Im confused to what caused this problem and i wanted to ask you guys if its the adapter before i buy a new one .
Everywhere i looked it said that adapters dont have max resolutions and all of them can achive 1920x1080 .
I would highly appreciate some help here :)

Lutfij

Titan
I've faced this issue prior. I had access to a really cheap adapter that would only allow me to get a max resolution of 720p no matter what monitor I plugged it into. You might want to pass on a link to the adapter you purchase alongside your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Did you have a discrete GPU prior to the GT1030?

Mar 25, 2019
I've faced this issue prior. I had access to a really cheap adapter that would only allow me to get a max resolution of 720p no matter what monitor I plugged it into. You might want to pass on a link to the adapter you purchase alongside your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Did you have a discrete GPU prior to the GT1030?
Before this 1030 the pc was using intel internal gpu and i used vga cable without adapters
My specs now are
Msi Gt 1030 lp oc 2g ddr5
Cpu is Intel celeron g1840
I might be wrong but i think Motherboard was gigabyte h81m-s2pv
4g ddr3 ram
Monitor is Lg 20mb38a
windows 7 64bit [ i changed to win 10 64bit twice to test if its the same and there was no difference ]
And for the adapter i couldn't find any sites that are english since i got it by just going out and didn't actually order online so i'm gonna give you a picture of it (sorry for the inconvenience)
https://pasteboard.co/I71N8Ss.png
the weird part is that in the back of adapter's case it says that it supports up to 1920x1080 but i really think that might be just a lie
plus now that you said the problem might be the adapter i'm thinking my problem is most likely the adapter since no famous sites like amazon has one of them
but i wanna be sure before buying another one

Last edited: