Question HDMI to VGA Problems :/

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Hi all,
I recently picked up an old prebuilt system (XPS 8300). I tried using my male HDMI to female VGA adapter to display on my VGA monitor, however it didn't function, and just left a blank screen. After plugging it into an HDMI TV, it works, but not with the adapter. I removed the ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card to see if using the I5-2310's integrated graphics with a motherboard HDMI connection would work, however it didn't. I've used this adapter with the very same cable and monitor setup to successfully output video from an ASUS Essentio M11AD and Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Can somebody enlighten me on why this is happening? Can I fix it by installing some software?

By the way, my graphics drivers are on the latest version.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
HDMI doesn't have any analog signal in it, only digital. And since VGA uses solely analog signal to work, HDMI to VGA adapters don't work on their own.

They do work, however, when HDMI output chipset has analog signal in it, which i believe Raspberry Pi 3 B+ has. Hence why it works with M11AD + Raspberry but not with XPS 8300.

So, either plug the Raspberry into XPS 8300 and use Raspberry's HDMI port OR get a HDMI to VGA converter,
further reading: https://nerdtechy.com/best-hdmi-to-vga-converter-adapter