Question HDMI/USB over ethernet?

May 24, 2022
Hello all,

I am planning on using HDMI over ethernet (EZCOO HDMI Extender with ARC (easycoolav.com) ) as well as USB over ethernet (USB2.0 Extender over cat 5/6 up to 165ft, Expand to 4 USB ports (easycoolav.com) ) so that my PC will be physically located in the mechanical room.

The furthest connection to my PC would be 60-65' which if I understand shouldn't be a problem with the aforementioned devices.

Sadly the manufacturer of the above devices only sells a combo HDMI+USB over ethernet in the UK (from what I could see) and I would rather not pay the shipping to get this sent to Canada.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping people here can help with:

1. Does anyone know of a combo HDMI & USB over ethernet (preferably with PoE) device so I do not need as many physical devices? (I am only planning on hooking up a USB hub at my desk that would have a keyboard, mouse, and Bluetooth receiver so I think I would only need USB2 over ethernet)
  2. If no to #1, does anyone here happen to know if the linked devices are good/sufficient?

Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
Just some initial questions:

Why does the PC need to be in the mechanical room? What is the nature of that room: heat, dirt, dust, bugs, publicly open, etc...

Is the room clean and neat? A bad environment will lead to a bad ending for that PC.

Are there power outlets available in the mechanical room. You will (I think) need at least 2: one for the PC and one for the Extender.

Is there a clear path or route to run the necessary cables from your intended workspace to the PC in the mechanical room? What all is in between the two locations: walls, wiring, duct work, etc..

All in all your plan may be quite doable. However, I would be remiss not to ask a few questions. And there may be other questions/concerns as well.

May 24, 2022
Just some initial questions:

Why does the PC need to be in the mechanical room? What is the nature of that room: heat, dirt, dust, bugs, publicly open, etc...

Is the room clean and neat? A bad environment will lead to a bad ending for that PC.

Are there power outlets available in the mechanical room. You will (I think) need at least 2: one for the PC and one for the Extender.

Is there a clear path or route to run the necessary cables from your intended workspace to the PC in the mechanical room? What all is in between the two locations: walls, wiring, duct work, etc..

All in all your plan may be quite doable. However, I would be remiss not to ask a few questions. And there may be other questions/concerns as well.

I want to put the PC in the mech room as I loathe the sound of fans and the mech room is central (mostly) in my house. I intend to be able to connect said PC to any display/TV in my house.

The room is in my basement and will have a concrete floor so there is practically no worry about dust or bugs (House is currently being built). I am planning on having plenty of power to future proof in the event I want to go even geekier in my house. My contractor has said that he could also design the room so some AC gets vented in to keep the PC/networking gear cool which I am undecided on.

I have directed the electrician to run conduit from each area that I want a TV/display that can support several ethernet cables each (again future proofing so I can easily swap in fibre, etc. in the future). My contractor gave the estimate that the worst case distance for a run would be 60-65' through conduit (furthest corner of house to furthest corner of the mech room).

My current plan is to have 3 ethernet run (1 for HDMI, 1 for USB and 1 for IP), but ideally I will find a good combo extender so I only have to run 2 ethernet per area.

Thank you for helping.

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome.

Thoughts:

- Do your electrical, telephone, security systems all come in via the mechanical room? For example where will the ISP's network service enter the home? You need to (or may need to) provide for a modem, a router, and a patch panel(s). Modem and router will need AC power. And if you decide to later install a UPS - plan for that as well.

- Heat is an enemy of electronics. Cooling is a must. However, cold air blowing on or around a computer can cause moisture to condense inside. Watch humidity.

- Ensure that the electrician/contractor is indeed knowledgeable about installing and terminating Ethernet cables etc.. Too many contractors tend (even if well meant) to think "electrical" when it comes to networking, audio/visual, security systems, coax, telephone, etc.. Electrical cables can take much more abuse, in a sense, than network cables for example.
There are rules and guidelines that must be complied with along with proper installation procedures. Be aware that there may be requirements for permits and subsequent inspections for approval. Varies with locale - some are quite strict. Especially and rightfully so when it comes to safety.

- Run extra cables. Far easier to do so now rather than later. For example, if you expect to have fibre then at least put in conduit pull cords to later install fibre. Do not over fill the conduits. There are rules and limits.

- Label everything - permanent labels. Not little pieces of masking tape randomly stuck here and there. Make diagrams, take photographs - know where all the cables are run: source to destination. There should be service loops on each end. Inspect before the drywall / sheet rock goes up.

- Do some additional research and reading on installing home networks. Even if you are not DIY just a bit more knowledge may help avoid some mistake or oversight. You must be very careful about what Ethernet cable is installed. Specs and quality matter. "Newer" is not always better. Actually applies to any sort of cable..... lots of marketing hype to fool the unwary.

(For Ethernet: At least UTP Cat 5e, pure copper (not copper clad aluminum), round (not flat) with wire gauge 22-24 AWG. Lots of poor quality/counterfeit/fake cable on the market these days.)

There may be additional ideas and suggestions posted.

May 24, 2022
Thank you for the reply. To answer all your questions in order:

1. All telecom devices will be in the mechanical room and I will have plenty of power in there for all devices plus anything additional I may not have thought of.
  2. Good point, I will make sure that if we do go the way of venting some AC into the room it will not be blown directly on/near the electrical equipment.
  3. I am following their work closely and due to you posting this I did notice that there was a communication breakdown between the owner and his worker which I caught on day 1 (yay).
  4. Again, good point and I have requested the addition of the pull cord.
  5. Do you have recommendation on how I can permanently label the cords. In the past I used a label maker and then wrapped the cable so the sticky sides would come together to make a "flag" and then wrap the flag in scotch tape. While this lasts better than just putting the label on the cable the glue always sucks and inevitably the label falls apart.
  6. I have instructed the actual installer as to the specific specs of cable I want for ethernet and speaker. I have also informed my contractor of said specs so that he can help reinforce in the event there is another communication breakdown.

Thanks!