HDMI Versions and TV refresh rate

raymoundgh

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Hi, I have a Samsung TV with 400Hz refresh rate, it was an expensive TV for the time and I bought it for gaming, but I didn't have great gaming rig.
Here's the link
now I'm buying a gaming rig and was wondering about using it right.
don't tell me about lags etc it has the gaming mode and about 10ms delay.
I wanna play 3D with it, I have bought a nvidia 970 graphics card should support any HDMI version.

But my TV is from 2011 an may not support HDMI 1.4b though definitely at least HDMI 1.4a
Will I still be able to have 120Hz or can I use another input on my TV which would support a better quality?

No. Refresh rates work differently with televisions.

1. Televisions use tricks like flashing the back light to achieve refresh rates greater then 120hz.
2. Televisions don't support sequential input beyond 60hz. In order to display 3d, both the left and the right image are sent at them time. The television then splits the image internally into seperate frames resulting in a 120hz output.

I have heard of people "overclocking" their televisions to support 120hz input. But I have never tried this, nor do I know of anyone who has done it before.
http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Correct, however your TV isn't actually a 3D tv, I think the feature works without it being a 3D TV with the proper glasses but I am not sure.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You're right, sorry its early and im shot

raymoundgh

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
The TV has active glasses.
I had played some games in 3D before but with my laptop through a mini display to HDMI adapter with low quality.
Now I'm investing big and don't wanna be bottlenecked for a HDMI 1.4a, 1.4b difference.
I haven't assembled my rig yet,
I'm worried to just finalise the purchase. So far the items below are on my basket maybe you can comment on them.

Cor i3 4170
MSI GTX 970
Samsung PM871 SSD
HyperX Impact HX316LS9IB/8 ram 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L
Asrock Z87 M8 barebone