[SOLVED] HDMI vs Displayport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
But doesnt higher resolution, higher refresh rate better? Some motherboards HDMI only supports 30 Hz, while their displayports support 60 Hz with same 4k resolution.
Yes, but the only consideration is whether each interface can run your video format or not.

For example, if you get a 1080p 60 Hz monitor, Both HDMI and DisplayPort are capable of this. Neither of them is "better" at running 1080p 60 Hz than the other, they're both identical.

On the other hand, if you get a 4K 120 Hz monitor, only DisplayPort has the required bandwidth. So DisplayPort is the only option. So of course it is "better" than HDMI for this situation, because HDMI can't be used at all, at least with current hardware.

It not really about which one is...
May 19, 2020
Display port will support higher frequencies 60 - 144hz+.
In terms on quality there wont be any real difference - If you put a hdmi/display playing a movie side by side, there will be no noticeable difference.
HDMI does support audio + video through the one connection, however display port only supports video.

bignastyid

Titan
More bandwidth means better quality?
Not necessarily. It means higher resolution and refresh rate(Hz) support. At a resolution and refresh rate that both support the quality will pretty much be the same. If you get into a resolution that HDMI has to use compression for due to lack of bandwidth then you would likely see a quality difference between the 2. There's also some features like G-sync that requires Displayport.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Not necessarily. It means higher resolution and refresh rate(Hz) support. At a resolution and refresh rate that both support the quality will pretty much be the same. If you get into a resolution that HDMI has to use compression for due to lack of bandwidth then you would likely see a quality difference between the 2. There's also some features like G-sync that requires Displayport.
But doesnt higher resolution, higher refresh rate better? Some motherboards HDMI only supports 30 Hz, while their displayports support 60 Hz with same 4k resolution.

Yes, but the only consideration is whether each interface can run your video format or not.

For example, if you get a 1080p 60 Hz monitor, Both HDMI and DisplayPort are capable of this. Neither of them is "better" at running 1080p 60 Hz than the other, they're both identical.

On the other hand, if you get a 4K 120 Hz monitor, only DisplayPort has the required bandwidth. So DisplayPort is the only option. So of course it is "better" than HDMI for this situation, because HDMI can't be used at all, at least with current hardware.

It not really about which one is "better quality", they're both identical. But they have different limits in the maximum format they can be used for.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
I thought your question was about display quality? Not which one had higher resolution and refresh support.

Board is likely using an older port versions. HDMI 1.3-1.4 only supports 4k@30Hz(60 hz required compression and many things don't support that). Displayport 1.2 supports 4k @60Hz.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
I thought your question was about display quality? Not which one had higher resolution and refresh support.

Board is likely using an older port versions. HDMI 1.3-1.4 only supports 4k@30Hz(60 hz required compression and many things don't support that). Displayport 1.2 supports 4k @60Hz.
I thought they mean the same thing. I think I'm using the wrong words. I am new to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.