News HDPLex’s ATX PSU Is Barely Bigger Than a Phone

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What is the use case for a 250W ATX PSU? With such power cap you are better off using a laptop. Better form factor plus mobility.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
These look really nice. One of these will easily power a 65W CPU plus a 90W GPU which is what I have right now. At some point I'd like to upgrade to a better GPU but still would like to stay below 150W. Probably an RX6600. Could possibly handle it with one of these. But they're small enough that it looks like I could fit a second in my case should I feel I'm pushing the power too much. I was looking at flex ATX but I think these would work even better.

Reactions: tennis2

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
Adding a PSU for a new (to me) GPU is a prime use case. While the PSU I have is probably good enough for the GPU I'm looking at, it could get marginal if everything in the system gets pushed to the max at the same time. Should that happen, I could separately power the GPU with one of these. Interesting. Of course, a new conventional PSU might also not be much (if any) more expensive.

The article mentioned what I suspect is the real target for this thing: HTPC (if anybody builds those any more). Another possibility might be a small NAS that's not kept in a closet.

What is the use case for a 250W ATX PSU? With such power cap you are better off using a laptop. Better form factor plus mobility.
A low power setup like a NAS box, media server, or just any other basic PC. Assuming this has some quality behind it, it also brings a breath of fresh air in this market because most of the sub 400W power supplies are garbage.

Reactions: mikeebb