Question HDR and whatnot between different components

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
So my whole ET center as it is right now has everything running to the AV reciever via HDMI, and then out to the TV. Naturally because I hadn't thought about it, I discovered my receiver won't pass thru HDR. I plan to change the hook up so that everything runs to the tv and then optical out to the receiver, but here's my question...

The TV is an LG B8, so the tv itself can project hdr. So do I even need to pass thru an HDR signal from my Sony X800? I guess I get confused about where the actual HDR originates vs what the TV is doing for it. I guess the same thing applies to 4k upscaling. The X800 can upscale, but so does the tv apparently. Which one should be doing the work? Both of them?

Thinking of upscaling ... I think the X800 would do a better job of it than the tv. Also, if you have a 4k signal ... no upscaling would be need. So ... I guess I'm saying you'd be far better off hooking directly from the X800 to the tv.

Thinking of the sound .... I thought the x800 had a sound only HDMI out. Connect that to your AV and you're golden.

Rumour has it that the x800 is one of the few players that will play HEVC files burned as data onto a blu-ray .... this may or may not be of interest to you (very nice feature for someone like me though).