[SOLVED] hdr montior vs hdr tv question

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
And another question :)

Since february this year, i'm the owner of the sony kdl 50-wf660. I really love that tv, especially because its hdr.

For pc gaming I still am rocking a vga-dvi monitor by phillips. In my opinion this one is semi hdr, cause of the true black shades, and the livid colors on screen.

A friend of mine says that the colors on my screen are amongst the best he have seen, and that he have saw this colors only on my screen.

Still, the display is old, i think ive bought it in 2010 or something like that, and i have to clean the screen more often and often. So, keeping all this in mind, I think its time for an upgrade.

Thing is, I only want a Philips, Samsung or sony screen, cause I have good experiences with them, and i do not have that much good experience with LG, Acer and the other brands.

So I go'd to the tweakers pricewatch (dutch comparison websites of stuff available in dutch stores) and found out that the cheapest hdr monitor of Phillips sits around 300 euro, the cheapest Samsung is 279 euro, but 4k which i dont want, and sony doesnt have screens available it seems (at least not in the pricewatch, so dutch stores seems not to have it, and i dont want to import it)

On top of this, these monitors are fairly large, namely around 27-30" which is too big for me.

If i then switch to tv's, i see that Phillips offer a 24" tv with hdr10+ (dont know if its 400 or fake hdr though) and that only for 224 euro.

But then the big question arrive. For pc gaming, should a tv, which normally is only 50hz, be a good choice over a monitor?

I only play on 1920x1080 and am not planning to go higher (yet) and IF you all should provide me with alternatives, then an A brand is a must (f.e, samsung, phillips, sony) hdr is a must, and either the screen or tv cant be bigger then around 27" and preferable just only 1920x1080 or maybe quad hd, but not higher than that, and the budget should not be more then 250 EURO (so not usd)

But all with all, would that phillips tv be good for pc gaming in you all opinions?

For the ones that want to view it, here is a link:

https://www.philips.nl/c-p/24PFS6805_12/6800-series-fhd-led-smart-tv and the tech specs are located under "technische specificaties"

Thanks all (again) for thinking with me.

Quick edit 2: I said in quick edit one that the tv is 60hz, but having viewed a bit more sites, where it have stated that the tv is 50hz, i think it still is 50hz :(

Last edited:
Solution
There is no real TV HDR with FHD forget it . If you want true HDR TV look for 4K TV only.

Also , any TV lower than 40 inch wont have real HDR or any good input lag. FORGET IT.

The HDR they claim is fake . if tested will get like 3/10 score .

as for input lag , Sony is the best in TV\s when it comes to input lag. next comes Samsung ..

but also you need to see which model you are looking at.
The biggest issue with TV’s in this price range is usually input lag, even TV’s with a gaming mode usually have much higher lag. Unfortunately input lag is rarely included in TV specs and you are reliant on independent reviews and often they don’t measure it. 50Hz is not ideal and would be another reason to get a monitor.

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
The biggest issue with TV’s in this price range is usually input lag, even TV’s with a gaming mode usually have much higher lag. Unfortunately input lag is rarely included in TV specs and you are reliant on independent reviews and often they don’t measure it. 50Hz is not ideal and would be another reason to get a monitor.

Found out that for just 25 euro more then the listed tv, there is this Gigabyte Aorus CV27F monitor. It looks amazing, so does anyone have some experience with that monitor? I mean, if the specs and reviews i can find (the best one is in dutch) are true, then it will be that monitor, although 27" is fairly big.. My current screen has the the ideal size imo for a monitor which is 21.5".

But like I said, if anyone has some experience with this Gigabyte monitor, please let me know :D

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
There is no real TV HDR with FHD forget it . If you want true HDR TV look for 4K TV only.

Also , any TV lower than 40 inch wont have real HDR or any good input lag. FORGET IT.

as for input lag , Sony is the best in TV\s when it comes to input lag. next comes Samsung ..

Solution

I agree apart from saying a blanket Sony/Samsung have the best input lag. You need to look at exact model. They both have a range of models with great to poor input lag. Also LG has some that are equally good/bad.

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
@nofanneeded
My current sony kdl 50 wf 660 does have the display hdr 400 standard. And with games like horizon zero dawn, the last of us part 2, spiderman and uncharted 4 on the ps4, the color displayed on screen is in my opinion much better with hdr turned on, rather then off. But for me coming from a crt monitor to a first generation flat screen hd ready tv, this full hd tv is a very big improvement.

I have considered 4k, but it isnt really my thing, but that is a thing of my eyes. A friend of mine has a 4k tv, and with his xbox one x on 4k, i need binoculars to read the subtitles for almost every game.

Later i have found out that both the ps4 and the xbox one x have a function to downscale from 4k to fhd, but when tested on the xbox, this wasnt done properly, and still i needed binocurlars to watch the subtitles. Might also because i have nystagmus on my eyes, but this is why I ditched 4k for now.

As for the input lag, on my big tv, i experience almost none, but I have seen this tv in action at multiple stores before buying, and did some extensive research online. All in all that was an amazing buy, and now i'm looking for an amazing buy again for my pc gaming needs :)

But I think, that hooking a tv up to my pc is with your information out of the question, so best for me would be to focus on monitors only :)

And that is where i've found that aorus screen :)

As for ultra wide.. I don't have experience with that at all, so I cannot say wheter i like it or not. I also don't know people that have an ultra wide monitor who I can visit to test, so like we say in dutch (wat de boer niet kent dat eet ie niet, what the farmer doesn't know, he won't eat) I think I stay away from ultra wide unless someone can convince me its a major improvement for gaming.

My common knowledge says that I can see much more on the screen when in games, and have a much bigger FoV, but other then that I dont have a clue if it is worth it or not.

@sizzling

First of all thank you for that link. Another very in depth review which might convince me more to go for that monitor.

As for input lag, my current phillips monitor doesnt have it (but again, its in need of replacement) and my tv seems also not having it (which is again the sony)
But reading stuff online, I found out that it is indeed something you have to keep in mind when buying a new, so together with @nofanneeded, thank you again for pointing this out

As it stands for now, my thoughts are, that that aorus screen is the best buy/best perfomance-value wise.. Any other suggestions maybe? And keep in mind, fhd(or qhd), hdr, max of 250 euro and max 30" screen are mandatory :)

But all in all thank you both very much for thinking aloud with me :D