[SOLVED] HDR Not Supported

owenmahamilton

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Hi, I am having problems enabling HDR in Windows 10 (and subsequently Windows 11) and I hope someone on this forum can help me. I have just purchased a new PC that has a Gigabyte Aorus RTX3060 graphics card connected via HDMI cable to a 40" Samsung 4K TV. I checked in the TV Settings to make sure HDR is enabled on the TV and it is (Samsung call it HDR+ but I assume that it is the same thing) but when I go into the Display Settings in Windows in the HDR section under Display capabilities, under both Play streaming HDR video and Use HDR it says not supported. Before I came here to post my question I tried looking online for a solution and I read on another site that HDR only works at 30Hz, I've no idea if this is true or not but changing the refresh rate of my TV within Windows to 30Hz and then checking the HDR setting showed that it made no difference so I switched back to 60Hz. My old computer had a GTX 1050 graphics card connected to the same TV via HDMI and HDR was apparently not supported there either and I just assumed that the graphics card did not support it but as my new graphics card is so much better than the 1050 then I assume HDR is supported by the graphics card so can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

Solution
TVs can be tricky beasts to use; there's usually an obtuse setting you need to turn on to enable HDR support. I know for LG its "HDMI Deep Color Mode", but don't know what Samsung calls it offhand. Other possibilities include:

*Need to set the input port you are using to PC mode (usually done by setting the name of the input to PC)
*Need to be in RGB(Full) or 4:4:4 (or at least 4:4:2) chroma.
*Resolution/Bandwidth limitations (could be related to the supported bandwidth of the HDMI cable you are using)

The The RTX 3060 is HDMI 2.1 capable, so you can go up to 4k120 (likely the highest the TV can support) @ 4:4:4 chroma without issue, so long as the TV supports the resolution/refresh you are attempting to use.

wjlesaulnier

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
I had a similar problem- turned out to be a quirk of my processor motherboard combo. Easily resolved by connecting to the display via DisplayPort instead of HDMI. Worth a try.

TVs can be tricky beasts to use; there's usually an obtuse setting you need to turn on to enable HDR support. I know for LG its "HDMI Deep Color Mode", but don't know what Samsung calls it offhand. Other possibilities include:

*Need to set the input port you are using to PC mode (usually done by setting the name of the input to PC)
*Need to be in RGB(Full) or 4:4:4 (or at least 4:4:2) chroma.
*Resolution/Bandwidth limitations (could be related to the supported bandwidth of the HDMI cable you are using)

The The RTX 3060 is HDMI 2.1 capable, so you can go up to 4k120 (likely the highest the TV can support) @ 4:4:4 chroma without issue, so long as the TV supports the resolution/refresh you are attempting to use.

Solution