[SOLVED] HDR on LG GL850-b

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Hello guys,
Yesterday, I have finally upgraded my monitor, which i've been using for 6 years (some random ACER, 1080p, 60hz, i bought back then) with LG GL850 - B and i think so far the monitor is superb. It looks and feels amazing, the difference is there.
Although i have a few questions regarding its "HDR" and calibration.
As I couldn't find anywhere in it's menu the option to turn on the HDR, I had it turned on in windows display settings, but i get this weird issue when im taking snapshot (win + shift + s) in chrome everything just turns ultra bright, text is almost unreadable and ultra blurry, and the white backgrond is just tearing my eyes. When I turn off snapshot everything is back to normal. This also happens if i prt sc the screen.
I know this display isn't proper HDR monitor, but in some games so i want to ask is this normal or its something to do with drivers/my chrome/my unit? Am i missing something?

As for the game HDR in games, when im trying to calibrate it in Sea of thieves, i have this issue with adjusting it's brightness with the help of an gray and white image, which sometimes, even on the lowest brightness it still appear full white, with nothing to be seen on it.
Second, when im playing different game, RDR2 for example, when im playing on Windows Borderless, the game looks epic, but when i start it on Full screen, the colors look dimmer, not so bright, as if im looking at the scene through smoke or something like that.
I want to ask, does any of you, using this monitor, have these issues (it's the so-called "HDR" that's causing it to look like that), or its something wrong with my unit?

Sorry for so long thread, but i've wanted to be as clear as possible. Thank you in advance! Stay safe!

Solution
I don't have this monitor, I looked at it and ended up with a LG 32GK650F-B instead

I watched reviews of it and saw the HDR on the monitor isn't the best, it can actually make games look worse. Things are either too dim or washed out, screen doesn't do proper HDR as its only got 1 backlight and everything is either dim or bright. Just leave HDR off.

it could be just how LG do HDR. this is a review of a previous LG model since i can't find any proper reviews of your model.
He talks about HDR about 20 minutes in and shows examples in game.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't have this monitor, I looked at it and ended up with a LG 32GK650F-B instead

I watched reviews of it and saw the HDR on the monitor isn't the best, it can actually make games look worse. Things are either too dim or washed out, screen doesn't do proper HDR as its only got 1 backlight and everything is either dim or bright. Just leave HDR off.

it could be just how LG do HDR. this is a review of a previous LG model since i can't find any proper reviews of your model.
He talks about HDR about 20 minutes in and shows examples in game.

Last edited:
Solution

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Just leave HDR off.
That's what I've ended up doing, but just wanted to ask wether others has the same problem or it's just my unit. And well, coming from the monitor i've said previously, its big upgrade even with "hdr" off - colors are amazing (even feels kinda little over saturated at some point), no tearing. For the money I've spent, i think that's one of the best investition I've made.