HDTV as computer monitor?

PPD3195

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Hey Gang,

I'm really interested in hooking up one of those new 32" Samsung LED HDTV's as my computer monitor. I thought there would be more infor on the web, but haven't been able to find any real specifics as it relates to gaming.

Anyone have any input as to using an HDTV on their computer? Which type is better...plasma, lcd, led, etc? Do the 120hz televisions work better than the 60hz?

Thanks!!

Solution
Check out the HTPC forums over at avsforums.com for a vast knowledge of HTPC.

In my opinion (being a HTPC user myself) you are best off going with a PC Monitor if you are primarily using the PC for PC related activities, especially gaming. HDTV and gaming is where they don't mix the best. A TV only supports a select few resolutions and refresh rates - a PC monitor supports many. Keep in mind even the best video cards out there cannot play every game at a smooth 60FPS - Crysis for instance. Even the new 5870 still cannot play Crysis at 60FPS in 1920 x 1080. My HDTV runs at 1080p24 when playing Crysis. While it is doable, I do feel a slight lag and or see tearing, as the TV expects a 24 FPS and the game will range from 20-38. TVs are not...

deforrest

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I have a 42" plazma that I use to watch a few movies with great success. It is an older plazma and only does 800X480 so gaming realy bites. If I had a 720p or 1080i/p I would send my 22" widescreen lcd to my wife.

PPD3195

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I should have thought about plasma and burn in.

I'm really tossing around the idea of the Samsung LN32B640 or that new 32 " LED. It's around $1200, which is still cheaper than a 30" Apple display, but it looks phenomenal!!

I really would like to find someone that is using it as a monitor. I'm running a nVidia 295 card, so I don't think pushing the res will be a problem.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A 32" 1080p 60Hz LCD can be had for under $500. I am currently using a 32" 720p because it was a free in a furniture bundle I bought over labor day as HDTV/monitor for a HTPC. In Win7 Pro at native res it is perfectly usable as a monitor web browsing from the couch in my great room which is about 7-8 feat back. I had previously had the same machine on my 50" DLP which is 1080p and it was to hard to read some text on web pages in my media room. If you are sitting a bit closer like a traditional desk then the 1080p might not be so bad, but I wouldn't sit to far away from it.

120Hz / 240Hz in HDTVs induces input lag because of how the tech operates. Currently all video sources operates at 60Hz. 120Hz inserts 1 interpolated frame in between every two actual frames the HDTV receives. 240Hz inserts 3 interpolated frames between every two actual frames the HDTV receives.

The reason the technology increases input lag is because it takes time for the HDTV to create the frame(s) before displaying it on the screen. The more frames the HDTV must create, the higher the input lag. This is why many HDTVs have a "Game Mode" option in the menu which switches the HDTV to operate at 60Hz.

120Hz tech for HDTVs and PC monitors operates differently and they should not be confused with each other.

jrwalte

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Check out the HTPC forums over at avsforums.com for a vast knowledge of HTPC.

In my opinion (being a HTPC user myself) you are best off going with a PC Monitor if you are primarily using the PC for PC related activities, especially gaming. HDTV and gaming is where they don't mix the best. A TV only supports a select few resolutions and refresh rates - a PC monitor supports many. Keep in mind even the best video cards out there cannot play every game at a smooth 60FPS - Crysis for instance. Even the new 5870 still cannot play Crysis at 60FPS in 1920 x 1080. My HDTV runs at 1080p24 when playing Crysis. While it is doable, I do feel a slight lag and or see tearing, as the TV expects a 24 FPS and the game will range from 20-38. TVs are not as forgiving in fluctuating FPS as a monitor would be.

You'll also run into more issues. For instance, I just got the 5870 and could not play Crysis in fullscreen mode. My TV would tell me 'mode not supported' even though Crysis was set at the correct resolution. I installed the beta 9.11 drivers and the issue stopped, but the issue would not have existed if I had a monitor that supported more refresh rates.

Solution

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Haven't had many problems, but jrwalte is probably right its not a good idea if it is your only display. In my case i have a 26" Sammy monitor, if there is a problem I just switch to it.

TRENDING THREADS