tonofox

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I have an lcd monitor that I want to use to watch tv. I know I can buy a video card with a tv tuner with hdtv support or, theoretically, I could get a hdtv tuner and a cable that's vga or dvi on one end and has hd inputs on the other end and then use the remote from the tuner to change channels (I think). Either way, will I be able get HD quality tv signal on my lcd? My monitor is a pc, lcd monitor, not a tv/monitor and not hdtv enabled. What can I do to get full quality hdtv on my lcd monitor? Thanks

to get HD quality video you need a monitor that can do either 720P, 1080i or for true HD 1080P. what resolution is your LCD. oh to be able to watch HDCP protected content you'll need a HDCP enabled DVI or HDMI connector on both the gfx/TV card and the monitor

Avat

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
yep, that pretty much sums it up right there. Too bad there will only be a handful of 1080p monitors on the market by the end of 2006.

i personally hope for the rare occasion when i watch a movie that not all HD content will be protected as my monitor is capable of 1920 x 1080. like i say i rarely watch movies but even so i'm against these anti pirate measures because people like me are punished. i also think that alot of people maybe even like the OP are duped into buying HD ready tech that is not actually HD ready. IMO anything other than 1920 x 1080 isn't HD