[SOLVED] Head against the wall with this build. Can't get it happy and stable.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have a bevy of past threads regarding strange behavior out of this system I have upgraded/built since ~Jan of last year. Linking this thread just as a part of backstory, and "show more threads" uncovers several others:

Current build
R7 2700X
ASRock Taichi X370 on BIOS 5.6/AGESA 1.0.0.1
32GB G Skill Trident Z F4-3000C14-8GTZR running at 2933 CL14
Deepcool Castle 240EX
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Samsung 960 EVO NVME
Corsair RM750x
Windows 10 Home 1909

Not even sure where to start.....I built this as an upgrade from a R7 1700 build I had/have. I purchased the current 2700X and it seems that things have steadily been going downhill with the build since then or just before.
Right off the bat I started having issues with reliability. Soft and hard crashes, app fails, various errors in event viewer, reliability history that slowly crept down to a level no higher than 4/5. Every single time I power cycled it would start back up with a "improper shutdown" error, Windows crashed, kernel 41 errors, just a constant stream of ever worsening issue. I clean installed back in Nov. I have changed the PSU to current, changed RAM to current, added the AIO, added 4 other case fans, modded fan profiles, run scannow (etc.) to check the integrity of install. I had to swap my AV solution as it wasn't playing well with my OS install. (Endpoint of that version was fighting with Defender throwing constant errors).

As a side note to the 'current' build. I cannot run the "PBO" setting (whatever they call second gen) with any stability and have found through trial and error that the system will not stay stable with the memory running higher than 26xx/29xx with either sets of RAM I have utilized in this system.

Over the last couple of days the issues got to a degree where it was interfering with getting work done. Crashing in a game is one thing. Crashing BSOD "windows stopcode interrupt exception not handled" a few times in a day....

I took the time the other day to re-install Windows clean, again. Upon reading and recommendation I turned my XMP profile off, set the speed to the 2933 on RAM. I turned off "Windows 10 fast startup". Did a clean install of all vendor and motherboard recommended drivers. Everything seemed fine for all of 10 seconds. Since then I have gotten a few crash on starts, another BSOD as above, and the reliability history is already down to 5 due to 12 critical events and 4 warnings in two days. I have noted in event viewer that I got 1 critical, 61 error, and 161 warnings in a single 24 hr period yesterday.

At this point I am of the mind that I must have either a bad motherboard or CPU. Every part that I have replaced in this build was actually rebuilt as the original system this was, and it all works perfectly. Figures, lol.

At this point I am just going to keep on reading and try various obscure things. I figure if I can get it to hold on a little longer I should be able to score a 3xxx and good 570 mobo later this year at a steal.

Solution
The part number you provided, F4-3000C14-8GTZR, is for a Single module. Memory modules sold as Single modules have no guarantee to be compatible together if used in multiples.
Thing about "general unstable system" is that it can be caused by about anything. All this could potentially be the culprit: PSU, MB, CPU, RAM and even GPU.

I haven't followed your previous threads, but here is some tests you can try:
  • Run Memtest overnight, or several hours at least. If there is a CPU fault, it may trigger that as well.
  • If you can manage to get/borrow another GPU or PSU, try to swap and see if it make any difference.
  • Get a Linux Live (Bootable CD/DVD or usb stick) and see if that run properly on your computer. E.g. Linux Mint.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thing about "general unstable system" is that it can be caused by about anything. All this could potentially be the culprit: PSU, MB, CPU, RAM and even GPU.

Yes, it is a real bother. Much of why this systems parts have almost all been swapped. Individually I have had this same motherboard up and running with the 1700 mentioned. It seemed nice and stable and was happy with a small OC, not that I am some expert with that. The only part I haven't changed at this point are the NVME and GPU onto this mobo, but each of those parts have been installed on at least one other mobo and don't cause issue there.

I have run memtest for HOURS to no errors...then have Windows apps freeze the very next restart. I have not come across a situation on this build where it wouldn't pass that test so long as it would boot and stay on more than a few moments.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not that I want to jinx anything, but I have been 7 trouble free, BSOD free, lock up free days.

As listed above, prior to this I had been on BIOS 5.6. While on that BIOS task manager would never show the speed and "slots used" side of the memory info when set to it's XMP rating of 3000mhz. The previous RAM shared this issue.
I went against the recommendation of ASRock in relation to my CPU version and BIOS updates and went ahead with 6.20
The RAM actually shows up correctly at it's rated XMP speed. I noted that the PBO just slightly slowed the CPU. I still have not been able to achieve stability above the XMP rating or with the "extended" PBO setting enabled.

Take what I can get.