Headache re-installing Win8 in OEM laptop on a SSD

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
A friend's mother recently bought an ASUS K55A-DS71 notebook. It has a 5400 RPM HDD in it, and I told her that it would be a significant improvement to replace that HDD with a 250 GB SSD (she really doesn't need 750 GB) & that I'd do it for her. That way not only would she get better performance, but in the re-installation process, I'd avoid installing the crapware that comes with the notebook. I've done this before with Windows 7 and XP with no problem.

Apparently, the Windows 8 product key is now coded into the BIOS, but I was able to use a 3rd party app to get it. However, now I'm at a loss as to how to load this thing onto the new SSD. This model does not come with the ASUS recovery DVD creator, so I tried to use the Windows 8 system recovery disk tool (on USB flash drive), but it won't work on this SSD. I tried using a Windows 8 USB flash drive installer I already made, but it won't work either. Apparently, the product key is coded into the BIOS, and it is entered automatically when a new installation or recovery is attempted.

Anyone have any idea how I can successfully switch this OEM Windows 8 to this SSD?

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Well, I created a recovery drive using Windows 8 "Create a recovery drive" option in settings.

Something I noticed was that when I went into the BIOS after putting the SSD in, the USB flash drive was listed in the boot options screen, but the SSD was not listed. I then called ASUS support, and the guy said that maybe the motherboard in that model will not support SSD drive technology. The specs page for the K55A on the ASUS site only lists this in the Storage segment:

• 2.5" SATA
    1TB 5400
    750GB 5400/7200
    500GB 5400/7200
    320GB 5400
As you can see, there are no SSDs listed, though I am not 100% certain that that omission means necessarily that the board won't use SSD. Maybe that spec list only shows what the different models of K55A come with (there is more than one, and the one I'm working on is the DS71) ? I mean, is it even possible that a motherboard designed within the last 2 years does not support the use of SSD storage devices? Especially with specs as nice as this one has! Windows 8, i7 3610QM processor, 8GB RAM, etc.! With a spec list like that, you'd expect that computer would be good for at least 5 or 6 years. In 5 or 6 years, there may be hardly any computers using HDDs! How the hell could a mobo designer not take that into account?

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

Yeah, actually, when I went into the Advanced section of bios, in SATA mode selection it gives AHCI and IDE as options (AHCI was chosen as default). It also lists the SSD in that screen. It says it's in SATA port 0, and it has the model and serial number of the SSD listed. It also has the USB flash drive I'm using for recovery/installation listed as being in SATA port 2. But no matter whether I set it to AHCI or IDE, it won't recognize the SSD.

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

Yeah, I know. I was just getting desperate trying to see what would happen by switching from AHCI to IDE then back to AHCI to see if it would come up somehow.

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Yeah, I'm just pissed & frustrated. It wouldn't be as bad if it were my computer. I'd have more patience. I suppose you're right about calling ASUS back to see if I can catch someone with more knowledge.

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

A couple years ago I did my first desktop build, and I used a 64 GB SSD for the OS and a few other things. Then recently, I installed a 250GB SSD in my main laptop. Now when I use any computer with a HDD, it's like my hair's turning gray and falling out and the whole fkn world around me is in time lapse while I wait for a simple app to open.

LOL, I know..:pt1cable:

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I have a couple of 2.5" HDDs laying around, so I plugged on of them in to the SATA bay. It is a 750 GB, 7200 rpm HDD, which does meet the specs on this model's page on the ASUS site, and the BIOS doesn't show it either. So far, the only drive this comp will recognize is the one it came with, which is a 750 GB, 5400 rpm HDD.

Thryo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Now I've found a comment on Newegg feedback tab for the K55A-DH71 (same model I'm working on; only difference is that the DH71 comes with a 500 GB HDD instead of a 750 GB). This guy swapped out the 500 GB HDD with a 250 GB SSD with no problem.

Anyone else have experience with a laptop not recognizing a SSD in AHCI mode?