[SOLVED] Headphone for single-player gaming

smichak.uv

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my HyperX Cloud II headset with new headphones. I don't need a mic as I don't do multiplayer not do I intend to take phone calls with them. I also don't intend to use them to listen for music.
I mostly care about audio quality (as much as PC gaming may be concerned by this) and build and materials quality (My current Cloud II headset bought in 2016 are quite disappointing with the synth leather already peeling and the plastic being sticky and unpleasant).

I'd appreciate suggestions for these requirements, budget is 200$.

Solution
The Drop 58x jubilee is also very good, although stuff from them takes longer to come in.

There are actually a bunch of options for 200 or less that are good quality. One of my favorites is the Cooler Master MH751, they are clear, good even audio reproduction (meaning they don't boost the low or high end but have an even response) and are very comfortable. Yes they have a mic, but you don't need to use it, and it's removable. They are also under $100, and I have no issues using them in my rotation with headphones double or triple that price. Phillips SHP9500 are also great for the money, they are even cheaper usually than the MH751 and are a fun set to listen to.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my HyperX Cloud II headset with new headphones. I don't need a mic as I don't do multiplayer not do I intend to take phone calls with them. I also don't intend to use them to listen for music.
I mostly care about audio quality (as much as PC gaming may be concerned by this) and build and materials quality (My current Cloud II headset bought in 2016 are quite disappointing with the synth leather already peeling and the plastic being sticky and unpleasant).

I'd appreciate suggestions for these requirements, budget is 200$.

Honestly, I'd try and wait around until the next time Drop has a run of Sennheiser HD 6XX phones at $220.

Failing that, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 is terrific under $200, though it's a bit plasticy as it puts its build budget towards the sound side. The Sennheiser HD 560S is usually around $200 as well. One problem is that headphones are a very personal thing as people's perception of sound varies, so I'd buy from somewhere with a liberal return policy.

The Drop 58x jubilee is also very good, although stuff from them takes longer to come in.

There are actually a bunch of options for 200 or less that are good quality. One of my favorites is the Cooler Master MH751, they are clear, good even audio reproduction (meaning they don't boost the low or high end but have an even response) and are very comfortable. Yes they have a mic, but you don't need to use it, and it's removable. They are also under $100, and I have no issues using them in my rotation with headphones double or triple that price. Phillips SHP9500 are also great for the money, they are even cheaper usually than the MH751 and are a fun set to listen to.

Solution