[SOLVED] Headphone Help | DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm

sancakerkan

Prominent
Jul 2, 2021
Hi! I just bought DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms. I see some people using DAC/AMP and some people straight plugs into motherboard.

So my question is, can my MSI B450 A PRO MAX drive it. I guess it can but how about the sound quality? I see that most people who plug straight to Motherboard have a high-end one. Their MB have "op-amp".

You can reach the motherboard's detail from here : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-A-PRO-MAX/Overview

It uses Realtek® ALC892/ALC897 Codec

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
ALC8xx are fairly standard audio codecs. A dedicated dac/amp or sound card may provide a small benefit to sound quality, but you likely aren't missing out on a lot by plugging them straight into your motherboard.

I also own a pair of DT770 pros and generally just use them with whatever device is convenient. I had a dedicated sound blaster z in my PC but noticed no substantial difference between the sound of that and my onboard alc892 audio, so I removed it.

Do reccomend using the rear ports on your motherboard rather than a headphone jack on your computer case. The cabling for those headphone jacks internally often is not shielded very well.
ALC8xx are fairly standard audio codecs. A dedicated dac/amp or sound card may provide a small benefit to sound quality, but you likely aren't missing out on a lot by plugging them straight into your motherboard.

I also own a pair of DT770 pros and generally just use them with whatever device is convenient. I had a dedicated sound blaster z in my PC but noticed no substantial difference between the sound of that and my onboard alc892 audio, so I removed it.

Do reccomend using the rear ports on your motherboard rather than a headphone jack on your computer case. The cabling for those headphone jacks internally often is not shielded very well.

Solution

sancakerkan

Prominent
Jul 2, 2021

Thank you for the answer! I realized today something with my motherboard's rear and front jacks is wrong. I think my motherboard's rear jack is broken, giving a static sound. When I examined the motherboard, I saw scratches on the audio paths.

I will send it to warranty. If they don't accept , I'm thinking of having it repaired after-market repairs. Could this reduce the sound quality?

Should I create a new post in the Motherboards thread?