[SOLVED] Headphone help

Aug 16, 2019
Hi all, i'm a complete audio noob so bare with me.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my turtle beach recon 50Ps to a new pair of headphones.

Currently I'm thinking of getting either the dt 770s (80 ohms) or 990s (250 ohms), but I dont know if they are great for my needs (gaming/music) or if I need any fancy things like an amp for my PC to use them.

My pc currently has a b450 tomahawk and would like to be able to use them on my ps4 as well.

any help would be great!

Solution
D
Hi all, i'm a complete audio noob so bare with me.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my turtle beach recon 50Ps to a new pair of headphones.

Currently I'm thinking of getting either the dt 770s (80 ohms) or 990s (250 ohms), but I dont know if they are great for my needs (gaming/music) or if I need any fancy things like an amp for my PC to use them.

My pc currently has a b450 tomahawk and would like to be able to use them on my ps4 as well.

any help would be great!
I just generally stick to sennheisers for normal headphones. Have some BT 4.5s which are great cos you can use them with Bluetooth or by wire.

Depends what you want though, if you want to use them for footsteps a set of gaming headphones would be better. I have my sennheisers for music, phone and laptop but have some (now ancient) turtle beach XP510s for gaming because there’s no reason to get new ones. They do their job, can handle 3 inputs at once and aren’t bad at music.

Aug 16, 2019
Main reason I want to get a new pair is that the audio quality is becoming noticeably worse and it seems to be getting quieter too.

I'd mostly be using it for gaming over music, but it would be nice to have a better music experience.

The main worry I have is the DAC/AMP thing, I do not know if I would need one.

D

Deleted member 217926

Solution
For music you'll pretty much always want a DAC, as even a $100 one will provide a night and day difference over any motherboard integrated sound card. For gaming it's not much use though since for that you'd usually want surround and boosted lower frequencies to recognize stuff like footsteps and such easier, surround headphones generally have a usb connection and thus you can't even use them with a DAC.