Question Headphone light static when mouse moves

Feb 19, 2019
I just bought a new AsRock Z390 Extreme4 but my headphones are making a light static/electric noise whenever I scroll or move my mouse and things like that. I thought this was because of not-so-good or faulty audio cards in mobos, but this one is brand new :/ Pls help, thanks in advance

Do you hear that static sound when you connect headphones to the rear jacks as well as the front panel jacks?

If so, can you disconnect the front panel audio connector and try again at the rear panel?

If the sound goes away when using the rear panel jacks then it could be the cable routing to the front panel is allowing the noise to be picked up. You might try re-routing it as far away from motherboard components as it allows, and don't bundle those wires with any other wires especially wires to the USB ports. Many cases use bad wiring for the audio jacks that lacks shielding or even twisting for noise elimination. In which case, you might just disconnect the front panel and use only rear panel jacks. Many people do just that.

Feb 19, 2019
Do you hear that static sound when you connect headphones to the rear jacks as well as the front panel jacks?

If so, can you disconnect the front panel audio connector and try again at the rear panel?

If the sound goes away when using the rear panel jacks then it could be the cable routing to the front panel is allowing the noise to be picked up. You might try re-routing it as far away from motherboard components as it allows, and don't bundle those wires with any other wires especially wires to the USB ports. Many cases use bad wiring for the audio jacks that lacks shielding or even twisting for noise elimination. In which case, you might just disconnect the front panel and use only rear panel jacks. Many people do just that.

I'm using quite an old case, there are only rear jacks available.

I'm using quite an old case, there are only rear jacks available.

ohhh...that's not so good. First thing is to make sure you have a standoff under every mounting point for the motherboard and a screw in every standoff and it is well tightened. Proper grounding is essential.

Next thing is make sure all connections are properly secured and every wire attached. Any loose or missing ground wires could be the culprit.

You can also try moving the mouse around to different USB ports if you haven't.

If nothing helps then it could just be your motherboard isn't the best at signal isolation and it will be something you have to live with.

Feb 19, 2019
ohhh...that's not so good. First thing is to make sure you have a standoff under every mounting point for the motherboard and a screw in every standoff and it is well tightened. Proper grounding is essential.

Next thing is make sure all connections are properly secured and every wire attached. Any loose or missing ground wires could be the culprit.

You can also try moving the mouse around to different USB ports if you haven't.

If nothing helps then it could just be your motherboard isn't the best at signal isolation and it will be something you have to live with.
I just remembered the thread broke for the screw right next to the I/O shield. It's in, but not tightened well. Is this likely the problem?