[SOLVED] Headphone Noise After Installing New Graphics Card

ronniedoyle2468

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Hi,

I installed a GTX 1080 today and it's works great, except I hear noise through my headphones even when I mute the computer volume. I had a GTX 1050 ti before and it never did this. It gets annoyingly loud when I load up a game, then it stops during a loading screen, then it starts back up again. The noise also happens when I move my mouse. I'm using Razer headphones with an audio jack. Any suggestion for a fix would be appreciated.

Sound: When loading a game, it is loud, almost sounds like a noisy fan or an airplane. There is always a static in the background. Sometimes it is almost unnoticeable but other times it greatly interferes with in game sound.

Thanks

Solution
If you are lucky, you might have just bumped the front panel connector which is often located real close to the video card slot in the back. You can try plugging the back side of your motherboard using that jack to see if this is the case, because if there is no electrical noise on the lines, the audio from the jack out the back of your machine should be clean. So if you determine this to be the case, you probably should know what to do.

Otherwise, what is your power supply? How good is your power supply at filtering the electrical noise. Because what it sounds like, pun intended, is that you may be picking up electrical noise thru the lines. You may want to double check your grounding too. The GTX1080 uses substantially more power...

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
If you are lucky, you might have just bumped the front panel connector which is often located real close to the video card slot in the back. You can try plugging the back side of your motherboard using that jack to see if this is the case, because if there is no electrical noise on the lines, the audio from the jack out the back of your machine should be clean. So if you determine this to be the case, you probably should know what to do.

Otherwise, what is your power supply? How good is your power supply at filtering the electrical noise. Because what it sounds like, pun intended, is that you may be picking up electrical noise thru the lines. You may want to double check your grounding too. The GTX1080 uses substantially more power than the 1050ti, and if your PSU is not up to snuff, it could explain your problem. You can try using bluetooth headsets to get around this, as that send the signal digitally, and you wouldn't suffer noise on the analog lines going to the audio jack.

Solution

ronniedoyle2468

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017

I bought a new power supply because my old one was only 250W and couldn't be used with the 1080. It is an EVGA 500W BQ 80+ Bronze.