[SOLVED] Headphone recommendation

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looking for recommendations in the $50-80 range headset. Preferably standard 3.5mm jacks, I suppose, but doesn't really matter.

My Logitech G330 have had catastrophic mechanical failure. Basically whole left side has come apart and all the plastic and wire insulation have gone brittle. Aside from a big pile of superglue, I think it is time to call it.

No one really makes headsets in the older style I like (except business grade models), so I am completely branching out into new territory. I have a fairly small head, so headphones that are intended to go over the head and cover the ears generally end up sitting on my ears, which is why I leaned towards the behind the head options.

I have no frame of reference so need opinions, and don't really feel like heading to a retail store at this time to physically try anything out. A lot of new entrants into the market, but I haven't tried anything outside of logitech in ages.

For you potential audiophiles, here is what is driving any potential headset:

Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 5
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5 + ALC 1220 120dB SNR HD Audio

Solution
I'll take a look. Seems a little pricey for the feature set, but that sub-strap might solve my tiny head / ear problem. Might spring for one of their higher end models. Probably won't match my equally ancient steel series mouse though...

The only features of a headphone should be sound quality and comfort that are important. USB/lights/wireless are all secondary and don't often match the price. There are headphones costing $1,000 that are nothing but headphones with a simple stereo jack.

If you want on ear headphones, the Koss KPH30i are hard to beat for the price. Impossible to beat I should say...
Sep 13, 2020
Looking for recommendations in the $50-80 range headset. Preferably standard 3.5mm jacks, I suppose, but doesn't really matter.

My Logitech G330 have had catastrophic mechanical failure. Basically whole left side has come apart and all the plastic and wire insulation have gone brittle. Aside from a big pile of superglue, I think it is time to call it.

No one really makes headsets in the older style I like (except business grade models), so I am completely branching out into new territory. I have a fairly small head, so headphones that are intended to go over the head and cover the ears generally end up sitting on my ears, which is why I leaned towards the behind the head options.

I have no frame of reference so need opinions, and don't really feel like heading to a retail store at this time to physically try anything out. A lot of new entrants into the market, but I haven't tried anything outside of logitech in ages.

For you potential audiophiles, here is what is driving any potential headset:

Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 5
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5 + ALC 1220 120dB SNR HD Audio
I would really recommend the Steelseries arctis 3 2019 edition cause of its comfort and audio quality

Seems like I remember listening to those cloud stingers in Microcenter and they weren't bad. One guy reviewing from 2017 on Amazon said he couldn't hear his wife yelling at him from 3 feet away, and that if she ever broke them he'd buy again....

When I was looking though, a best buy had a display of headsets set up and you could actually try on each pair to demo. So gave an idea what you were looking at.

I'll take a look. Seems a little pricey for the feature set, but that sub-strap might solve my tiny head / ear problem. Might spring for one of their higher end models. Probably won't match my equally ancient steel series mouse though...

The only features of a headphone should be sound quality and comfort that are important. USB/lights/wireless are all secondary and don't often match the price. There are headphones costing $1,000 that are nothing but headphones with a simple stereo jack.

If you want on ear headphones, the Koss KPH30i are hard to beat for the price. Impossible to beat I should say https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KPH30ik...ss+KPH30i&qid=1600709008&s=electronics&sr=1-3 They are often on drop.com also and can be found cheap enough that they are good to get just to try them out and use them as a second set for something (the inline mic helps these days with online video calling and for game/phone use).

The HyperX Stingers are good for the price but the Cloud Alphas are a good deal better for the price you were looking to spend, Arctis models are good also and are more comfortable with a neutral clean sound. CoolerMaster MH751 are a good set to check out and should be OK for a smaller head.

Solution