[SOLVED] Headphone volume quieter in certain ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017
I have the Hyperx Cloud Flight wireless headset, which uses a USB dongle to connect to my computer. I've used them on my desktop for over a year now with no issues and recently started using them on my laptop. At first, everything was normal, but after a week or so of using them, they became extremely quiet. I've always had the volume at 10 in windows, but now when it's at 100 it's quieter than when it was at 10. I plugged the dongle into another USB port and it was back to normal for a few days until the same issue came up. I now have 1 USB port left where they work normally and am desperate for a fix. I've tried uninstalling them in device manager as well as reinstalling the headphone drivers but nothing has worked. Any Ideas on how I could fix this?

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017
Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? Try reinstalling your chipset drivers.
It's a laptop as I mentioned so I don't know as much as with a desktop but running msinfo32 tells me it's an HP 88F7 motherboard version 86.39 and BIOS version AMI F.26. I went on HP's website and reinstalled all the chipset drivers as well as the audio drivers and the problem persists.

Lutfij

Titan
Considering it's a laptop, the model and SKU to said HP mobile computing device would suffice. If you're working with an USB driven headset, you don't need to deal with the audio drivers. On that note, the receiver/dongle that comes with the headset is the soundcard/transmitter.

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017
Considering it's a laptop, the model and SKU to said HP mobile computing device would suffice. If you're working with an USB driven headset, you don't need to deal with the audio drivers. On that note, the receiver/dongle that comes with the headset is the soundcard/transmitter.
The model is an HP Omen 17-ck0xxx, and the SKU is 4W2K6UA#ABA. Thanks for the education, I didn't think the audio drivers would fix it anyway and did it more out of desperation.

Lutfij

Titan
What you provided was the serial number. Regardless, I used that to hunt your laptop down on HP's support site. If you're indeed on F.26 for your BIOS, you have one more BIOS version pending update, to F.30. As for your laptop being an Intel platform, I'd reinstall all drivers(listed under Chipset) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I'm wondering if you're needing an OS reinstallation. Seeing how almost always a device/driver issue was sparked from a corruption in the OS.

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017
What you provided was the serial number. Regardless, I used that to hunt your laptop down on HP's support site. If you're indeed on F.26 for your BIOS, you have one more BIOS version pending update, to F.30. As for your laptop being an Intel platform, I'd reinstall all drivers(listed under Chipset) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I'm wondering if you're needing an OS reinstallation. Seeing how almost always a device/driver issue was sparked from a corruption in the OS.
I just updated my BIOS to F.30 and reinstalled all 4 of the chipset drivers again using the HP Download and Install Assistant, but the problem is still there. Do you think if it were an OS issue it would affect all the USB ports and not just one at a time? Could it be an issue with the USB receiver from the headset corrupting the ports or something like that?

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017
The Problem went away temporarily but came back and I managed to fix it this time so I'll leave what I did here in case anyone has the same issue and comes across this in the future:
The solution that worked for me was going to settings->system->sound->more sound settings
In that menu select the device and open the properties for it. Under general click properties, click the button that says change settings, then select Driver-> Uninstall device, and be sure to check the box that says attempt to uninstall device drivers. Once it was uninstalled I removed the USB and then restarted my PC, then when I plugged my headset back in the sound was back to normal and much louder.

Reactions: Avishka Shanuka
Status
Not open for further replies.