Mar 31, 2021
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well.

This is my first post on this forum, I apologize if this isn't the correct category for this question.

The wire of my Razer Kraken 7.1 v2 has been playing up and I have identified the exact fault of the cable is right next to the earcup itself. Lately, the slightest of movements makes my headset disconnect. Usually, I would simply buy a new headset at this point.
However, I would like to give it a go to replace the wire itself.
Here is a photo of what it looks like inside the earcup. https://ibb.co/ZGRx4QM
The main wire leads to the green, white, red and two black wires on the right hand side, these are what I have to replace . I wanted to ask, does anyone know which cable I need to buy to effectively replace it? Making sure I still keep functionality of the 7.1 sound and the microphone? Also, how can I effectively remove the wires in the photo and the glue/silicone without damaging the board itself?

Also, being my first time soldering, any advice? The video I have watched of this exact procedure seems pretty simple, I believe I can do it and save myself some money in the process.

Alternatively, I was thinking of using the same wire, removing the top faulty part and simply making it shorter in the first place. The wire is one of these rope textured ones though and I wouldn't know how to remove the outer casing to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Solution

This is my first post on this forum, I apologize if this isn't the correct category for this question.

The wire of my Razer Kraken 7.1 v2 has been playing up and I have identified the exact fault of the cable is right next to the earcup itself. Lately, the slightest of movements makes my headset disconnect. Usually, I would simply buy a new headset at this point.
The main wire leads to the green, white, red and two black wires on the right hand side, these are what I have to replace . I wanted to ask, does anyone know which cable I...
These are USB headphones so if you want to keep the original 7.1 you need to keep the USB dongle as it is the sound card that creates the virtual surround sound. You can try taking the cable out, cutting off a few inches removing the section you think is broken and solder back on.

Reactions: Woody24
Mar 31, 2021
These are USB headphones so if you want to keep the original 7.1 you need to keep the USB dongle as it is the sound card that creates the virtual surround sound. You can try taking the cable out, cutting off a few inches removing the section you think is broken and solder back on.
Yes I was thinking of doing this, it seems like the most logical approach since the faulty part is near the top end. However the cable has that rope texture around it and I am unsure how to peel that off like you would with a normal cable, to expose the inner cables.

The main wire leads to the green, white, red and two black wires on the right hand side, these are what I have to replace . I wanted to ask, does anyone know which cable I need to buy to effectively replace it? Making sure I still keep functionality of the 7.1 sound and the microphone? Also, how can I effectively remove the wires in the photo and the glue/silicone without damaging the board itself?

Also, being my first time soldering, any advice? The video I have watched of this exact procedure seems pretty simple, I believe I can do it and save myself some money in the process.

Alternatively, I was thinking of using the same wire, removing the top faulty part and simply making it shorter in the first place. The wire is one of these rope textured ones though and I wouldn't know how to remove the outer casing to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
This is a common problem. The break is usually inside the insulation at either the headphone end or the plug end, In your case it's at the headphone end.

Being the break is near the end (as you said)....I would probably just make the cable shorter rather than replacing it.....but you can do either.

As far as the glue...I would try to pop it off with a razer blade....but if that is impossible...I would use a dremel tool with a small cutter bit to grind it away.

As far as the braided cable. That's the shield.
After I strip the insulation back as far as I need to....I take a razer blade and pretty much unwind the shield strands and then twist them into a straight wire. This can take a little time.

As far as soldering....go slow....be careful...make sure what you are soldering is clean (no glue etc)...make sure your wires are in place nice before you solder them.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS