[SOLVED] Headphones detected as 2 channel speakers, instead of 8 channel headphones

Lah1992

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Hello

Thank you for your time in advance. I am extremely frustrated with my issue, and not sure how to fix, after spending hours upon hours trying.
I am using the Hyper X Orbit S -- I assume these are higher power than 'usual' gaming headphones - not sure if this is the cause of being misallocated as speakers.
Interestingly it can be that the headphones will start as 8 channel, and then quickly be changed into 2 channel mode.
I have tried to mess with the drivers to see what is causing it to no avail - I thought it could be the SoundBlaster card. However, sometimes I can get the computer to 'fail' to change the headphones to speakers (deactivating everything, reactivating etc). I have searched for controllers to change this upon query search results - unable to find Realtek controller on my pc (tried what I thought was the file directly but failed).
Cheers

Lah1992

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Are you toggling it with the mic volume dial?

It worked, thank you so much mate.
I accidentally used this feature a long time ago but forgot. Much appreciated!! After so much time that I thought it was the PC!