headphones - distorted sound

When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on my speakers (powered
stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass buzzing distortion even at
zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high pitched feedback (a
bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't broadcasting).

Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker goes to the right
headphone & vice versa.

If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on the sound card, and
unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the headphones directly into
the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get the high pitch
distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).

It's not the headphones that are the problem; they work fine with my hi-fi,
and I've tried more than one set.

I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've tried adjusting the
settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck. I'm sure it must be
software as the speakers work fine.

Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for it!

Thanks, Cookie_365

Cheap speakers with wiring crossed and no internal balun for
the headphone output. You really will do better plugging
headphones into a headphone box.

"cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:BD_cc.362$p45.223@newsfe1-win...
| When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on my
speakers (powered
| stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass buzzing
distortion even at
| zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high
pitched feedback (a
| bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't
broadcasting).

| Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker goes
to the right
| headphone & vice versa.
|
| If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on the
sound card, and
| unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the
headphones directly into
| the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get the
high pitch
| distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).
|
| It's not the headphones that are the problem; they work
fine with my hi-fi,
| and I've tried more than one set.
|
| I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've tried
adjusting the
| settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck. I'm
sure it must be
| software as the speakers work fine.
|
| Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for it!
|
| Thanks, Cookie_365

If you are listening to a CD plug the headphones directly in the CD player
and see if everything is OK there.

--
Steve C. Ray
(Replace "mail" with "36db"
"cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on my speakers
(powered
> stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass buzzing distortion even
at
> zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high pitched feedback (a
> bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't broadcasting).
>
> Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker goes to the right
> headphone & vice versa.
>
> If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on the sound card, and
> unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the headphones directly
into
> the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get the high pitch
> distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).
>
> It's not the headphones that are the problem; they work fine with my
hi-fi,
> and I've tried more than one set.
>
> I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've tried adjusting the
> settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck. I'm sure it must be
> software as the speakers work fine.
>
> Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for it!
>
> Thanks, Cookie_365

Thanks Jim. What's a headphone box? And why do I still get the high freq
distortion with the headphones directly in the soundcard & the speakers
disconnected?

> Cheap speakers with wiring crossed and no internal balun for
> the headphone output. You really will do better plugging
> headphones into a headphone box.
>

> "cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:BD_cc.362$p45.223@newsfe1-win...
> | When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on my
> speakers (powered
> | stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass buzzing
> distortion even at
> | zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high
> pitched feedback (a
> | bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't
> broadcasting).
> |
> | Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker goes
> to the right
> | headphone & vice versa.
> |
> | If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on the
> sound card, and
> | unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the
> headphones directly into
> | the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get the
> high pitch
> | distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).
> |
> | It's not the headphones that are the problem; they work
> fine with my hi-fi,
> | and I've tried more than one set.
> |
> | I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've tried
> adjusting the
> | settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck. I'm
> sure it must be
> | software as the speakers work fine.
> |
> | Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for it!
> |
> | Thanks, Cookie_365

You have poorly shielded headphone, frequency leakage inside
the computer and maybe too much power being applied to the
circuit.

When I said headphone box, I meant an isolated amplifier
like what a good stereo sound system uses.

"cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:cG%cc.386$p45.96@newsfe1-win...
| Thanks Jim. What's a headphone box? And why do I still get
the high freq
| distortion with the headphones directly in the soundcard &
the speakers
| disconnected?

in message
| > Cheap speakers with wiring crossed and no internal balun
for
| > the headphone output. You really will do better
plugging
| > headphones into a headphone box.
| >

| > "cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote
in
| > message news:BD_cc.362$p45.223@newsfe1-win...
| > | When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on
my
| > speakers (powered
| > | stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass
buzzing
| > distortion even at
| > | zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high
| > pitched feedback (a
| > | bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't
| > broadcasting).
| > |
| > | Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker
goes
| > to the right
| > | headphone & vice versa.
| > |
| > | If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on
the
| > sound card, and
| > | unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the
| > headphones directly into
| > | the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get
the
| > high pitch
| > | distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).
| > |
| > | It's not the headphones that are the problem; they
work
| > fine with my hi-fi,
| > | and I've tried more than one set.
| > |
| > | I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've
tried
| > adjusting the
| > | settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck.
I'm
| > sure it must be
| > | software as the speakers work fine.
| > |
| > | Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for
it!
| > |
| > | Thanks, Cookie_365
| > |