[SOLVED] Headphones for Gaming

thebiz87

Honorable
Apr 3, 2014
Hello

Been reading and searching on this topic to find some good headphones for gaming.
I have been using hd558 with the foam mod for around the last 6 years and they are starting to wear out. I also have a mod mic that I use with the headphones.

So I looked and seen a lot of people were recommending the ad700x so I picked a pair up and the sound seems good but they don't fit very good. I had to bend them to get the to stay in place and they still don't feel like they were made to be over your ears.
Mainly use headphones for competitive style gaming so that is the most important thing for them to be good at. The reason i got the ad700x. I was gonna get some hd599 because I knew I liked how the hd558 felt but they seem overpriced since Ive seem them way lower in the past.
I do have fulla3 dac/amp also

So I figured I would come here and see what peoples current recommendations and advice.

If I had to put a budget it would maybe be around $300 if something would be far better I could go up or down if really needed.

Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

The 6XX IS an HD650. Just has a different finish. Great headphone overall but terrible for gaming. No soundstage.

The HD599 is a great value at $150 or less. I wouldn't pay $200. There's a new HD560S that's getting solid reviews. Soundstage and imaging are things talked about positively. I haven't heard one yet to comment.

The best gaming headphone I've used is the K712 Pro. The DT1990 Pro probably has slightly better imaging but the staging and comfort make the K712 Pro a 10/10 for me. Works with any genre of music as well. You can find it for around $300. It will need at least an integrated motherboard amp though.

thebiz87

Honorable
Apr 3, 2014
Thanks for the responses.

Dt1990 are up there in price even used and i dont think I'm ready to drop that much on some headphones.

Are there any other recommendations that beat out the k712 pros in imaging. How are the hd599 in comparison if they were to fall in price?

Only other headphones I've seen recommended else where was the dt990 600ohm and hd58x.

D

Deleted member 217926

Are there any other recommendations that beat out the k712 pros in imaging.

Not that I've heard. Imaging, being able to close your eyes and point to where the sound comes from is slightly better on the 1990s. But to get a better soundstage than the K712 means moving to HD800s ( $1400 ). The HD599 is entry level. The K712 Pro is a pretty big step up. I consider them to be an upgrade or at least a worthy side grade from the HD600/650. The Sennheisers are great headphones but they lack the bass and treble extension of the K712. They're 'boring' in comparison depending on the music.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ That being said the 599s are absolutely great headphones. My judging criteria is quite high these days.

thebiz87

Honorable
Apr 3, 2014
Like I originally said these will be only for some competitive fps gaming . I don't really listen to that much music and if I do I don't use headphones.

So from everything I've read imaging is the most important for my needs.

Thanks again.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
philips fidelio X2

-> when you wonder if a noises comes from your headphones or from the room.
great for music, gaming, movies, everything.

so confortable i have the habit to put them on when im in front of the computer, even without music.

any cans i tried after sounded bad. terribly bad. i offered my daughter some AKG c50bt, and to my taste they are just bearable. (whyle critics for those ones are really good)

they are open and don't sound like headphones. more like really good quality loudspeakers ideally placed in the room.

oh and at his level of quality, you need a good sound card to match. I have a sound blaster Z.
in the SBZ control panel, they are setings that improve spatialization. great for games. i play Metal Gear Solid a lot, and it's easy to hear guard's footsteps.

my god they are only 160USD on amazon.com, and in special at amazon.ca. im tempted to get a spare...
bought them used 300$CAD 2 years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00O2Y2MZG
get a used sound blaster Z on local ads and you're done.

amazon offers free returns. nothing to lose by trying them.

PS : they are sized for bigger-than-average head of a fully grown man.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

The X2's are also really good and they have great staging. The K712 Pro is to my ear, a more refined sound though. I own both and I don't keep headphones I don't like or don't use. The X2's are thick and musical and the K712 Pro is more clinical and precise. They're the better gaming set. But the X2 is only $145 and at that price it's an amazing value. Also a tier up from where I'd put 599s.

thebiz87

Honorable
Apr 3, 2014
Ill have to check those out I've only seen them mentioned a few times but never looked into them. I see they have a newer one on there also the x3 they are on sale for $250. Do you know how they differ from the x2?

They're actually down to $115 as a Prime day deal. Almost a must buy at that price. These got raved about at the full retail release price of $299.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5VHLUG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glad you linked this, just placed my order, after $22 in card credits and selecting the interest free on my Amazon card for 6 months, they are almost free, $16 a month LOL

They are even the slightly newer HR version which I read come with nicer easier to clean pads.

thebiz87

Honorable
Apr 3, 2014
I came across a site where a guy reviews headphones and a part is rated for competitive.

Dont know if I'm allowed to post the link here so Ill just put the name here if anyone would like to search google for it.
mad lust envy does the reviews.

TRENDING THREADS