[SOLVED] Headphones for music/gaming under $80?

Nov 7, 2021
I am having a seriously hard time choosing a set of headphones and I keep running around in circles just to find the ideal pair. I have gone through at least 30 Reddit posts but I keep finding different answers. I just decided to post and ask as opposed to going crazy.

Use case: I am currently using the included AKG earbuds that come with Samsung phones. I listen to a lot of game soundtracks, anime music and pop music. I also play a lot of Valorant and single player games. I might get into audio mixing and editing, so that's also something I would like to add.
Requirements: I have several requirements that must be met:
  • MUST be closed back
    • A lot of threads kept recommending semi-open or open headphones, but I will be rooming with another person. I don't want my roommate to hear everything I am listening to.
  • Comfortable for (kind of) long-periods of time
    • I will be wearing them for 15 minutes up to 4+ hours
  • Has to be very durable
    • It needs to last at least 2 years
  • Good imaging and soundstage
    • I want a pair of headphones that can allow me to accurately pinpoint the direction and distance of footsteps
  • Drivable without Amp/DAC
    • I just want to be able to plug it into my motherboard and use them
Now, I am pretty open to having a good set of standard headphones and using a separate microphone, but I would prefer to have a built-in mic due to space constraints. I can extend my budget up to $100 if needed, but again, would prefer to have it around $80 or under.
So what are the best headphones that I could get around this price range and that meet my requirements?

I’d also recommend the Cloud II’s. To help manage expectations though no virtual surround sound headset gives pinpoint accuracy, the direction is vague at best. Also closed back do have less soundstage so will not perform as well as good open back for virtual surround sound. Ive actually stopped using virtual surround sound and only use stereo.

Nov 28, 2021
I am having a seriously hard time choosing a set of headphones and I keep running around in circles just to find the ideal pair. I have gone through at least 30 Reddit posts but I keep finding different answers. I just decided to post and ask as opposed to going crazy.

Use case: I am currently using the included AKG earbuds that come with Samsung phones. I listen to a lot of game soundtracks, anime music and pop music. I also play a lot of Valorant and single player games. I might get into audio mixing and editing, so that's also something I would like to add.
Requirements: I have several requirements that must be met:
  • MUST be closed back
    • A lot of threads kept recommending semi-open or open headphones, but I will be rooming with another person. I don't want my roommate to hear everything I am listening to.
  • Comfortable for (kind of) long-periods of time
    • I will be wearing them for 15 minutes up to 4+ hours
  • Has to be very durable
    • It needs to last at least 2 years
  • Good imaging and soundstage
    • I want a pair of headphones that can allow me to accurately pinpoint the direction and distance of footsteps
  • Drivable without Amp/DAC
    • I just want to be able to plug it into my motherboard and use them
Now, I am pretty open to having a good set of standard headphones and using a separate microphone, but I would prefer to have a built-in mic due to space constraints. I can extend my budget up to $100 if needed, but again, would prefer to have it around $80 or under.
So what are the best headphones that I could get around this price range and that meet my requirements?

i would recommend you ATH M20. The ATH-M20x is an upgraded version of ATH-M20 but gaining massive attention from many professional and beginner audio enthusiasts. It features a no-nonsense design that is true to the company’s legacy. The headphones are a little on the heavier side, but they are still very comfortable and will not let you feel any fatigue even if you listen to music for straight 5 hours. you can check some other options and recommendations in this article