Question Headphones L/R Balance Mutes The Audio?

soakka

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015
Hi!

I have two pairs of headphones (Sony MDR-1A which I'm currently using and also Sony MDR-10R). I plug them into my computer's headphone jack at the front of my computer case. I'm using the latest version of Windows 10.

I recently noticed that after around 30 minutes of using the headphones, the audio of whatever is playing (Twitch, YouTube, video games) starts to fade away and after about 10 seconds the sound is completely messed up. It stays like this for a while, sometimes fixing itself for a few seconds but then breaking again. When the audio is messed up, the background audio (background music or sfx) seems to get much louder and the main part of the audio (dialog, for example) is almost inaudible.

This happens with both pairs of headphones and has been happening for many months.

After a bit of experimenting I found that this audio glitch happens when the Left/Right balance of the headphones are equal to each other. As in, if the Left Balance is set to 10, and the Right Balance is set to 10, this glitch happens. If one of them is at least slightly offset from the other (For example if L is at 10, R is at 12) this glitch goes away. If they are very offset (L at 10, R at 40), the glitch also goes away. I change the balance by going to Sounds --> Headphones --> Levels --> Balance.

This wouldn't be a problem if I could simply set them at a certain offset value and leave them, but depending on the game or audio the LR balance is constantly changing.

I had Realtek audio installed on my computer. The issue was present when that was installed, and so I uninstalled it and the issue seems to be better (takes longer for the audio to break) but still ends up breaking. I also tried reinstalling Realtek but the issue persisted,. When I click the "Update Drivers" button on the headphones in their properties menu, it installs Realtek so I'm guessing that Realtek functions as the drivers. I'm not really sure what Realtek does, so should I keep it installed?

Also, this issue seems to go away when I plug my headphones directly into my monitor. But when I do that, there is a pretty loud static sound that will constantly buzz so it's not an ideal solution.

I'm very much a novice when it comes to audio equipment and drivers and the like, and so any help is greatly appreciated!

These are my computer specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/v4qPwP

soakka

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015
How about if you plug them directly into the headphone out on back of the motherboard?

For some reason, no matter which port on the back of the motherboard I plug the headphones into, the audio doesn't play. It doesn't seem like they're detected. I made sure to try the lime green port many times because that's the correct one I believe but still nothing.

When the headphones are plugged into the back, the detected sound devices are:
1. Realtek Digital Output
2. 6 - ASUS VS228
with subtext "AMD High Definition Audio Device". This is my monitor.
3. Realtek Digital Output (Optical)

When I plug in the headphones on the front port, the option for "Speakers" with subtext "Realtek High Definition Audio Device" pops up in addition to the previous ones listed and that's the one where I can hear things normally (until they break).

D

Deleted member 217926

I haven't used onboard audio in so long I'm not sure where to tell you to start.

I would uninstall everything Realtek and start with a fresh install from here:

It might even be an auto-detect setting or something. Or a driver setting. Beyond that a cheap ( or not so cheap ) soundcard or external amp/DAC would fix it.