[SOLVED] Headphones Not Working Suddenly

raptor20012001

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Okay, so for some reason or another, I was watching a YouTube video and my headphones were working perfectly. I go downstairs for about 5 minutes, come back, and now my Headphones have completely stopped working. Funny thing is that I tried a different pair of headphones, these Turtle Beach ones that I bought years ago, and they don't work either. I tried reinstalling Realtek drivers, I checked the bios to see if my Motherboard was still detecting the audio plugs, and they were. I used some Usb headphones too, and they work but they weren't using Realtek drivers as they were using their built in ones. I can't seem to identify if the issue is that the headphones died suddenly, or if it is a problem with my Motherboard's onboard audio, or something entirely different. Please do help if you guys can.

Solution
I had the same problem and also use Realtek. Try the following steps to turn off audio enhancements - as turning it off for the respective Realtek connection devices fixed this issue:

1.) Right click sound icon on your tab.
2.) Open Sound Settings
3.) On the top right of this tab, click 'Sound Control Panel'
Here you will see your audio devices. I have my desk speakers connected to the back: 'Speakers' with Realtek(R) Audio underneath it and my headphones connected to 'Realtek HD Audio 2nd Input'.
4.) Right click the device you want to fix.
5.) Click 'Properties'.
6.) On the top of that new tab, click 'Advanced'.
7.) At the bottom, un-check the box 'Enable audio enhancements' and then click 'Apply' on the bottom right. Afterwards, try...
May 3, 2020
I had the same problem and also use Realtek. Try the following steps to turn off audio enhancements - as turning it off for the respective Realtek connection devices fixed this issue:

2.) Open Sound Settings
Here you will see your audio devices. I have my desk speakers connected to the back: 'Speakers' with Realtek(R) Audio underneath it and my headphones connected to 'Realtek HD Audio 2nd Input'.
5.) Click 'Properties'.
7.) At the bottom, un-check the box 'Enable audio enhancements' and then click 'Apply' on the bottom right. Afterwards, try the 'Test' button near the top right of the same tab to see if this actually worked i.e check for audio output.
8.) Repeat steps 4-7 for any other devices you are having trouble with.

Hope this helps!

Solution

raptor20012001

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020

2.) Open Sound Settings
5.) Click 'Properties'.
7.) At the bottom, un-check the box 'Enable audio enhancements' and then click 'Apply' on the bottom right. Afterwards, try the 'Test' button near the top right of the same tab to see if this actually worked i.e check for audio output.
8.) Repeat steps 4-7 for any other devices you are having trouble with.

Hope this helps!
You beautiful man, thank you! God I was trying to fix this for hours and it was just as simple as doing that, and then re-plugging in the audio jacks. I have no idea why suddenly those audio enhancements cause all audio to get cut off for no reason, but at least it is fixed now. Thank you!

Reactions: KCoffeeMug