Question Headphones on front panel/motherboard don't work, MSI's support isn't helping.

Aug 24, 2019
I've just built my new PC, everything seems good but the audio ports don't work. I've tried the front (on the case) and the back (directly on the motherboard) and they all don't work. I've tried downloading every single driver I could find but nothing works.

My motherboard is a B450 Gaming Plus, here is the picture of the HD AUDIO cable on the motherboard:

jKLBQ9zl.jpg

Is there a specific driver I need to install? I've tried the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 4.73, and every driver on MSI's support page.

The error is:

szpXnBx.png

I'm guessing its might be a software/driver issue because the motherboard headphone jack is probably already connected, so there is a minimal chance I messed that up.

Thanks a lot for your time!

EDIT: https://bit.ly/2mhnXs0 (gyazo link)
This happens every ~15-20 seconds ONLY when the headphones are plugged in. Not sure what it means or if it helps.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Click that 'Manage Sound Devices' link in that 2nd pick and see if Realtek or HDAudio is a choice. possibly the default device is the GPU's digital output which does not connect back to/work with the motherboards soundcard. You can right click and set it as the default.

Otherwise:
Is your sound enabled in the bios?
You may or may not have a setting in the bios to select which type Ac97 or HD the port will function as. This must match the type of plug from the case.
Then you can install the motherbd drivers for it.

Aug 24, 2019
Click that 'Manage Sound Devices' link in that 2nd pick and see if Realtek or HDAudio is a choice. possibly the default device is the GPU's digital output which does not connect back to/work with the motherboards soundcard. You can right click and set it as the default.

Otherwise:
Is your sound enabled in the bios?
You may or may not have a setting in the bios to select which type Ac97 or HD the port will function as. This must match the type of plug from the case.
Then you can install the motherbd drivers for it.
The "manage sound devices" link isn't much help.
hWTBwSE.png

These are my drivers:
Xs8uOWA.png

HD sound is enabled in BIOS, but I don't think I have the option for the type of port selection. I'll try updating my BIOS and see how that goes. I've also tried mixing and matching/disabling and enabling different audio drivers but none seem to work.

EDIT: BIOS updated, looks exactly the same. Sound still doesn't work or detect anything.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019
Anyone else have some ideas? Maybe my motherboard shipped broken? Waited a day for MSI support to suggest updating my BIOS to the same version I'm currently on.

ZtjyJF9.png

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019
Do your back audio ports work?

Download some modern Linux LiveCD, boot it, and see what happens.
I am using both the front and back built-in motherboard audio ports, neither work. I found this happening in my Control Panel -> Manage Audio Devices which ONLY HAPPENS when I plug in my headphones. It kind of flashes very quickly once every ~15-20 seconds. When the headphones are unplugged, they don't flash anymore.

https://bit.ly/2mhnXs0 (gyazo link)

I'll try out linux and see how it goes. Thanks for your time!

Aug 24, 2019
Linux doesn't work as well. Although the headphones on linux weren't detected, there was a weird popping sound on the headphones which didn't happen on Windows. Nevertheless, it wasn't detected or working.