[SOLVED] Headphones on Laptop picking up some weird sounds.

May 10, 2020
I've had days when my headphones on the laptop were picking up noises and sounds out of nowhere.
First there was something similar to what i can describe as Morse code and after them i was getting a probably male voice repeating some words that i couldn't make understand. After awhile all of that disappeared. Anyone with an explanation? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If I had to guess, skip.
when I was into CB we called it skip. when the weather allowed we would use the atmospheric skip to talk with people far far far out of range of out Citizens Band radios.
the atmosphere plays a part in errant radio signals, it may be a local signal, or it could be a skipped foreign signal that just happened to skip by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywave

provision 2 means it may happen again.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

wired or wireless?
short answer is radio. you are picking up errant radio signals.
“This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.”

you are getting hit with the second provision. I must keep my cell phone 5 feet away from my subwoofer or I can hear the cell phone updates which is kinda morse like.
Radio man radio

you may want to read over this thread from tomsguide, it covers similar topics.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
If I had to guess, skip.
when I was into CB we called it skip. when the weather allowed we would use the atmospheric skip to talk with people far far far out of range of out Citizens Band radios.
the atmosphere plays a part in errant radio signals, it may be a local signal, or it could be a skipped foreign signal that just happened to skip by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywave

provision 2 means it may happen again.

Reactions: dukesasmooth
Solution