[SOLVED] Headphones picking up voice through left earphone instead of microphone

Aug 13, 2019
Hello, my motherboard onboard audio is dead so i'm using a sound card. When i use headphones i can notice some kind of buzz but it doesn't bother me. When i try to record my voice
there is no sound even though my microphone is plugged in the correct jack and the adjustable microphone is close to my mouth. I recently tried a voice recorder and i started knocking
on a few parts on the microphone and there was nothing, but once i started to knock on the left earphone i noticed that it picked up sound, so i started to speak into the left earphone
and somehow i could record my voice but with a very bad quality. How is this possible? If anyone knows please help me i'm trying everything possible and i can't figure out whats the issue.
Sorry if my English is not perfect.

Solution
a headset is 5-6 wires and if the leads are attached/assembled wrong the speaker could be wired as a mic or vice versa. a speaker can easily be used as a mic, the first mics were actually speaker horns.
if the headset is wired correctly and only fails to work in this device I would say the audio device is wired wrong either IRL or in software.
does the headset have three lines on the plug (stereo and mic) or two (stereo)? a computer can only use the two line plugs and a splitter may be needed to separate the three line into the separate mic and speaker plugs.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
a headset is 5-6 wires and if the leads are attached/assembled wrong the speaker could be wired as a mic or vice versa. a speaker can easily be used as a mic, the first mics were actually speaker horns.
if the headset is wired correctly and only fails to work in this device I would say the audio device is wired wrong either IRL or in software.
does the headset have three lines on the plug (stereo and mic) or two (stereo)? a computer can only use the two line plugs and a splitter may be needed to separate the three line into the separate mic and speaker plugs.

Reactions: Hylite
Solution
Aug 13, 2019
Thank you so much for the info, i figured out the headset had 3 lines on the plug and i will try using a spiltter!(y)