Question Headphones pop and sound cuts out when sound isn't played for a few seconds.

Jan 17, 2020
So I've been experiencing this for YEARS and at this point I've experienced it across multiple computers and pairs of headphones.

Sound plays perfectly fine through my headphones so long as there is a constant source of sound - such as when I'm watching a video. However, if there isn't a sound source, my headphones audibly POP and then go dead. The next time a new audio source is played, there is always a few seconds of delay, a loud POP, and then the audio plays normally.

I should note that my laptop speakers on both laptops do the same thing.

It seems as if Windows is cutting sound to the headset to save battery power on laptops, but I can't for the life of me find a setting to make it NOT do that. It's incredibly bad while editing videos, since there isn't a constant stream of sound, the audio pops every time I play a new clip, and the delay for the audio to play is incredibly tedious.

So does anyone know what's going on? I've searched high and low, but every profile post I come across just says to update drivers, or that the audio jack or cable are bad, but none of these are the problem.

Edit: I'm using Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS