[SOLVED] Headphones/Speakers beep occasionally while PC is running (possibly memory issues) ?

windoze

Commendable
Jan 26, 2020
A few weeks ago, my PC started to freeze up and crash. No BSOD, it just stopped and required a hard reboot every time. I ran MemTest86 and it would freeze at the same spot every time I tried. Although, in the end, I was able to stop the crashing by never sleeping it and just shutting it down when not in use.....

However my problems have come back the other day, regardless of whether I sleep the PC or not, along with occasional beeping (the beeping comes from my headphones/speakers, not the motherboard itself). I am unsure if the beeping is related to the freeze-ups, since I just installed the insider preview of Windows 11.

That was when I decided to reseat the RAM today. After that, I successfully ran 2 passes of MemTest86. After 6-7 hours, my PC hasn't crashed but there were STILL occasional beeps (sometimes single beeps, sometimes double beeps)

Again, the beeping is from my headphones, not the motherboard. Is this still a BIOS beep code? Nobody online ever explicitly clarifies if BIOS beeping ONLY comes from the PC tower and not audio devices. And tonight I will run 8 more passes of MemTest while I sleep, just to be sure.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3800X
RAM: 16GB 3200MHz
GPU: 2070 Super
Storage: 1TB NVME SSD
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650x

Solution
The fact memtest86 outright crashed is worrying; kind of limits the scope of the problem to either the motherboard or RAM. I wouldn't put too much stock in memtest passing after reseating the RAM either; this doesn't sound like the type of problem that just goes away on it's own.

As a debugging test, take out one of the two stick so RAM. Yes, you'll kill performance, but it's the only easy way to figure out if RAM is the problem, or the motherboard. If the problem remains, swap the two RAM sticks (note: use a different RAM slot each time, just to rule that out as a potential problem). If each RAM configuration still has problems, then you know its the motherboard. If you can isolate the problem to a stick/slot of RAM, then you've...
The fact memtest86 outright crashed is worrying; kind of limits the scope of the problem to either the motherboard or RAM. I wouldn't put too much stock in memtest passing after reseating the RAM either; this doesn't sound like the type of problem that just goes away on it's own.

As a debugging test, take out one of the two stick so RAM. Yes, you'll kill performance, but it's the only easy way to figure out if RAM is the problem, or the motherboard. If the problem remains, swap the two RAM sticks (note: use a different RAM slot each time, just to rule that out as a potential problem). If each RAM configuration still has problems, then you know its the motherboard. If you can isolate the problem to a stick/slot of RAM, then you've found the culprit.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS