Question Headphones without noise cancelling. Suggestions much appreciated.

mdiesel4747

Reputable
Sep 11, 2017
Budget $150~
I'd like to get some headphones, I would use them for gaming and music. I just don't want to have any white noise in my ears constantly, just the actual sounds is enough for me. I would choose background sound over white noise any day.
I read a little about open vs close back headphones, but not sure if they are synonymous as non-noise cancelling and noise cancelling headphones.
Any good, long lasting headphones out there? I appreciate any suggestions or information/user reviews about these types of headphones!
Thank you guys

Budget $150~
I'd like to get some headphones, I would use them for gaming and music. I just don't want to have any white noise in my ears constantly, just the actual sounds is enough for me. I would choose background sound over white noise any day.
I read a little about open vs close back headphones, but not sure if they are synonymous as non-noise cancelling and noise cancelling headphones.
Any good, long lasting headphones out there? I appreciate any suggestions or information/user reviews about these types of headphones!
Thank you guys
Are you looking for wired/wireless and are you using these for your phone or just PC?

Closed back headphones may be noise isolating, meaning they'll drown out noise from the outside. They won't block out noise completely though, so something loud enough (such as your computer fans) can still be heard if the audio isn't loud enough. The drawback is because closed back headphones are, well, closed, they can affect the sound in subtle ways and may sound more "in your head". Open back cannot have noise isolation because the shell is, well, open. However, they sound more natural since they allow air through.

If you're looking for just headphones and not a headset (it comes with a mic), I've heard Audio Technica's ATH-M50X or Sony's MDR-7506 come recommended and are in your price range. I haven't used either so I can't vouch for them.

If you're looking for a headset, the only one I can recommend since I've used it is Logitech's Pro X.

mdiesel4747

Reputable
Sep 11, 2017
Closed back headphones may be noise isolating, meaning they'll drown out noise from the outside. They won't block out noise completely though, so something loud enough (such as your computer fans) can still be heard if the audio isn't loud enough. The drawback is because closed back headphones are, well, closed, they can affect the sound in subtle ways and may sound more "in your head". Open back cannot have noise isolation because the shell is, well, open. However, they sound more natural since they allow air through.

If you're looking for just headphones and not a headset (it comes with a mic), I've heard Audio Technica's ATH-M50X or Sony's MDR-7506 come recommended and are in your price range. I haven't used either so I can't vouch for them.

If you're looking for a headset, the only one I can recommend since I've used it is Logitech's Pro X.
Thanks for the help understanding this all. Pretty sure I've only used closed back headphones, I just hate the white noise so much. I'm checking out those two you mentioned right now.

Is there a specification that indicates whether or not they have noise cancelling background noise?
Normally they’ll specify that they have ANC (Active noise cancelling) also good ANC doesn’t generate any white noise but you’re talking £300-600 for those headphones.

Personally I have the Sennheiser HD 599. They go anywhere from £90-180 depending on sales etc. They’re open backed plus they sound pretty great for both gaming and audio.

If you want a mic you can always get a mod mic and attach it to any set of normal headphones.

Reactions: mdiesel4747
Normally they’ll specify that they have ANC (Active noise cancelling) also good ANC doesn’t generate any white noise but you’re talking £300-600 for those headphones.

Personally I have the Sennheiser HD 599. They go anywhere from £90-180 depending on sales etc. They’re open backed plus they sound pretty great for both gaming and audio.

If you want a mic you can always get a mod mic and attach it to any set of normal headphones.
Have you used a modmic? I didn’t want another cable so looked into the wireless option but saw reviews of it causing a slight hum in the ear it’s placed on. I have never had opportunity to try one and ruled it out based on this.

Have you used a modmic? I didn’t want another cable so looked into the wireless option but saw reviews of it causing a slight hum in the ear it’s placed on. I have never had opportunity to try one and ruled it out based on this.
You only need to attach it whilst you need a mic then you can just turn it off. Never had issues myself. Also the OP wants a wired headphone so what’s the issue with an extra wire?

D

Deleted member 217926

If you can get the HD599 for $150 or less. It was as low as $99 one time pre-pamdemic but it's been expensive all summer. There's also an Amazon specific 599SE that's sometimes cheaper. Same headphone.

The Philips Fidelio X2HR is in the $150 range as well. Both are comfortable with the 599 being a bit more so. They both have a very large soundstage and pretty good imaging making them both good for gaming. The X2 is warm and bassy vs a more neutral tune on the 599. The X2 was originally released at $299 to great acclaim and it's a very good headphone but for something you use all day it's hard to say no to the Sennheiser 5 series just for the absolute comfort. I would not pay more for the 599 than the X2 though and just going by a quick look at Amazon the 599 is still $200. The X2HR, an arguably 'better' headphone is cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2HR-Over-Ear-Open-Air-Headphone/dp/B01N5VHLUG

Either the 599 or the X2 are great entry level 'good' or what some people would call mid-fi headphones.

mdiesel4747

Reputable
Sep 11, 2017
If you can get the HD599 for $150 or less. It was as low as $99 one time pre-pamdemic but it's been expensive all summer. There's also an Amazon specific 599SE that's sometimes cheaper. Same headphone.

The Philips Fidelio X2HR is in the $150 range as well. Both are comfortable with the 599 being a bit more so. They both have a very large soundstage and pretty good imaging making them both good for gaming. The X2 is warm and bassy vs a more neutral tune on the 599. The X2 was originally released at $299 to great acclaim and it's a very good headphone but for something you use all day it's hard to say no to the Sennheiser 5 series just for the absolute comfort. I would not pay more for the 599 than the X2 though and just going by a quick look at Amazon the 599 is still $200. The X2HR, an arguably 'better' headphone is cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2HR-Over-Ear-Open-Air-Headphone/dp/B01N5VHLUG

Either the 599 or the X2 are great entry level 'good' or what some people would call mid-fi headphones.
Awesome. Thanks for the pointer on that. I remember when I got my first pair of headphones two decades ago. It was a whole new experience ha. I bet this next pair is going to be the same way. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 217926

My gateway to good headphones was an HD598 about 10 years and 12-14 pair of headphones ago. The 599 uses the same driver. It's just been updated and retuned a bit for better bass extension and comfort.

Apr 17, 2021
I recommend The SteelSeries Arctis 5 Headset. It is pretty affordable for being Surround sound headphones as well. They also have illuminated RGB that is programable. Here is the link to them, and I hope you can find a good choice. they are approximately 100 dollars.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016

You do know Logitech is Generic right? They don't know how to make good headsets it seems I have gotten 2 replacements of the H111 and it still picks up background noise

Keyboards and Mouse are the better bet from Logitech but headset's its like a hit or miss.

You do know Logitech is Generic right? They don't know how to make good headsets it seems I have gotten 2 replacements of the H111 and it still picks up background noise

Keyboards and Mouse are the better bet from Logitech but headset's its like a hit or miss.

That is about as low end of a headset as you can get, there is a lot of differences between a $15 headset and a $150 headphone that has no microphone. If you want a decent noise canceling mic you need something in the $50+ range. We use the H390 models at work, USB one, and never heard complaints about the mic, those are $30. The OP question is about a headphone not a headset, the mic has no bearing here.

My experience with the Pro X has been nothing short of amazing. Everyone who I've talked with regularly over voice chat said the quality was much better than what I used before and it doesn't pick up any background noise. Heck I can breath on it and it won't pick it up.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
We use the H390 models at work, USB one, and never heard complaints about the mic, those are $30. The OP question is about a headphone not a headset, the mic has no bearing here.

Are the H390's comfortable to wear for like hours on end?
I've read a lot of reviews on it that say its uncomfortable, issues with mic, etc

My experience with the Pro X has been nothing short of amazing. Everyone who I've talked with regularly over voice chat said the quality was much better than what I used before and it doesn't pick up any background noise. Heck I can breath on it and it won't pick it up.

That's a little more then I'm wanting to spend right now

Last edited:

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
No they are not comfortable. If you are looking for something for yourself to swap over please do so in another post since this one is about a different topic.
I did actually its here -