Headphones work but microphone doesn't

sihamalroosan

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I have an Asus Zenbook UX21, recently bought it, and the problem is my headphones when plugged init work I can hear sound, but the microphone doesn't unless I unplug the headphones, I know that my headphones are working because I have tried them on different devices. My computer will not recognize my headphones, I went to playback devices and even clicked showed disabled devices but still the headphone option isn't there only the speaker one (computer also came with realtek HD audio manager) I also tried going into device manager and clicking on the microphone input and speaker one and updating it, I checked if anything is muted but it's not. I really don't know how to get the headphones option to appear so that my headphone are recognized and maybe that would solve my microphone problem?

jamesx007

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
My friend had the same problem. Also an Asus but hers is ZenBook UX32A (I think).

It is the jack that is causing the problem. It was working fine and it suddenly developed the problem.

Somehow when you plugin a pure headphone the jack think you plugged in a mic as well, and turns off the internal mic.

One work around is to plug in the jack about half way only. If you do this right both the internal mic and the headphone will work.

It is a pitiful work around, but it is the only one I know of.

Phoebewstern

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013