Question Headset/Audio Issues

cmolland1808

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
Hello, so I have recently upgraded my Pc as I installed a Samsung Evo 970 ssd, which I later moved my OS to.
Beforehand everything was fine and my headset worked perfectly with no problems.

However afterwards the headset wasn’t outputting any sound from the speakers and the windows wasn’t detecting anything from the microphone.

I removed the new SSD as I thought that may be the problem but I was still having issues with no audio and no mic input being detected afterwards.

I tested my headset in another computer and it worked perfectly fine and I tried uninstalling the device drivers and re installing but it hasn’t helped.

I’ve also looked into buying a pcie sound card aswell to see if i can just use that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

1. Go to device manager/ sounds and mic tabs then right click and uninstall drivers even if they dont have a yellow triangle on them. Windows will reinstall them on restart. 2. In sounds/playback tab right click and disable the realtek digital output. just above the icon when using SPEAKERS you should see a green tick in the speaker icon , right click if missing. When you plug in your headphones the icon will go out and if you scroll down you will see a new one for headphones . when you swap between speakers and phones it takes a few seconds to find new device. 3. check properties tab on both headphones .... green jack highlighted and microphone pink jack.
finally at bottom right corner where the speaker icon is change the tab to realtec high def audio , i have my volume at 50% because at 100% when I used headphones on level 2 the sound was mega loud so 50% makes headphone adjustment more user friendly.

Reactions: Grobe

cmolland1808

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
What headset model? Stereo jack or USB plug?

Does it affect other sound equipment - loudspeakers or similar ?
Turtle beach earforce X12 is the model, and it has both a USB plug and two jacks, one for mic one for speakers

Sound will still work through my monitor and also if I plug one of the jacks into the monitor my speakers in headphones will work (not the best quality though) however my microphone still won’t work.

Turtle beach earforce X12 is the model, and it has both a USB plug and two jacks, one for mic one for speakers

Sound will still work through my monitor and also if I plug one of the jacks into the monitor my speakers in headphones will work (not the best quality though) however my microphone still won’t work.

It's not likely your monitor has the 4 pole jack needed for both headphone and mic use which is why you can't use the mic on it. Now the we know the sound works on the monitor, it could be that you need to set your default sound from the video card output to the sound card output and input.

cmolland1808

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
It's not likely your monitor has the 4 pole jack needed for both headphone and mic use which is why you can't use the mic on it. Now the we know the sound works on the monitor, it could be that you need to set your default sound from the video card output to the sound card output and input.
How would I go about doing that?

cmolland1808

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
1. Go to device manager/ sounds and mic tabs then right click and uninstall drivers even if they dont have a yellow triangle on them. Windows will reinstall them on restart. 2. In sounds/playback tab right click and disable the realtek digital output. just above the icon when using SPEAKERS you should see a green tick in the speaker icon , right click if missing. When you plug in your headphones the icon will go out and if you scroll down you will see a new one for headphones . when you swap between speakers and phones it takes a few seconds to find new device. 3. check properties tab on both headphones .... green jack highlighted and microphone pink jack.
finally at bottom right corner where the speaker icon is change the tab to realtec high def audio , i have my volume at 50% because at 100% when I used headphones on level 2 the sound was mega loud so 50% makes headphone adjustment more user friendly.
I tried following these steps but it didn't seem to help.
When I plug my headphones in the speakers icon has a green tick;

https://prnt.sc/tzt3wr

But I still can't hear anything

cmolland1808

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
open sound settings, select your devices there.
Seems the headset isn't detected.

Try to connect to another usb port. If that doesn't help, then try to connect to another computer and see it it still doesn't works - and if so then the headset is probably faulty.
I tried the headset in another computer earlier and it worked fine.
I've just tried using another USB and doesn't seem to have helped

cmolland1808

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
On my "Sound, video and game controllers" tab there is;

High definition Audio Device (which I believe is my monitor)
Realtek(R) Audio

When I uninstall it and restart it is still there
If I unplug my headset it is still there, the only things that disappear when I unplug my headset are Speakers and microphone on the Audio inputs and outputs tab

And then thats my "Audio inputs and outputs";
https://prnt.sc/tzzlkz

Ok, so then it's a windows issue, the OS probably haven't managed to recognize the headset properly.

I believe next step must be trying to find the device using regedit (dangerous and can seriously mess up windows if not done correctly) to remove it from list. This you have to google for answer or somebody else must give directions on how-to.

cmolland1808

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
Ok, so then it's a windows issue, the OS probably haven't managed to recognize the headset properly.

I believe next step must be trying to find the device using regedit (dangerous and can seriously mess up windows if not done correctly) to remove it from list. This you have to google for answer or somebody else must give directions on how-to.
Okay well I’m at work for a bit so I’ll have a look into it when I get home.
Is it straight forward to do or would it be better for me to take it to a local computer technician if it’s too risky to do?