Question Headset cuts out audio when a usb controller is plugged in the PC

logan.marshal220

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
I don't see this problem existing anywhere so I'll try to include all details. I'm trying to play Mortal Kombat 11 on PC with a usb controller plugged in. The controller is a PS4 controller and it's connected with a usb cord. I believe I just confirmed this but whenever there's a USB controller plugged in, my headset decides to disconnect and then reconnect every 5 minutes or so, which it makes the sound like I switched the power to my headset off and on. So the sound will cut out, then a second later I hear my headset power turn back on and the sound comes back. I checked the sound setting to see if the PS4 controller was added as a speaker source and it was not, at least it's not listed anywhere in activated devices or deactivated.

I really think it's a USB controller problem because that's when this problem only happens. If there's drivers that need updated or anything, any help would be appreciated.

Because Mortal Combat is a NVIDIA product, I assume the game has it's own audio driver. Go to Control Panel/ Sounds, and see if there is a headset using NVIDIA High Definition Audio (it might also be a speaker device if your headset is plugged into the speaker plug) If yes, but it is greyed out, right click on the (device with a green arrow) and disable it, then right click on the NVIDIA High Definition Audio and enable it. This should help.

logan.marshal220

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
it might be a power issue too. do you have both devices plugged into a USB port directly on the back of the computer or do you have both or one of them plugged into one of the ports on the front of your PC case?
I think it's any USB port on the PC. At first it was my headphones (which takes 2 usbs, 1 for powering it and 1 for the wireless connection which is actually always needed to be plugged in or the headset wont work) plugged into the back ports and tried the controller on the front port, after that i tried both controller and headset in the back but still same problem. I'm just convinced my PC isn't wanting to communicate well with these 2 devices because Injustice 2 did the same exact thing. Also on Windows 10, if that helps.

logan.marshal220

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
it might be a power issue too. do you have both devices plugged into a USB port directly on the back of the computer or do you have both or one of them plugged into one of the ports on the front of your PC case?
Actually, something new happened. I unplugged the charging cable from my headphones, making it wireless, and now the headphones don't cutout when I play. Just played about half an hour of a session without the headphones turning off and on. Weird...

Mar 15, 2020
I don't see this problem existing anywhere so I'll try to include all details. I'm trying to play Mortal Kombat 11 on PC with a usb controller plugged in. The controller is a PS4 controller and it's connected with a usb cord. I believe I just confirmed this but whenever there's a USB controller plugged in, my headset decides to disconnect and then reconnect every 5 minutes or so, which it makes the sound like I switched the power to my headset off and on. So the sound will cut out, then a second later I hear my headset power turn back on and the sound comes back. I checked the sound setting to see if the PS4 controller was added as a speaker source and it was not, at least it's not listed anywhere in activated devices or deactivated.

I really think it's a USB controller problem because that's when this problem only happens. If there's drivers that need updated or anything, any help would be appreciated.

I realize this is an old post but the information for this issue just isn't out there. I just had the same problem when I connected my PS4 controller into my pc with a skullcandy headset. I found that the PS4 controller has a headphone jack, the audio defaults to that audio output. I went to settings, sounds and reassigned the skullcandy as the default. You can always connect to the audio out put of the PS4 controller.