Headset/Headphones for FPS

gravecross

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I've been doing alot of research on the headsets and headphones + clip on but I still can't figure what to get. My spending limit is 180 or so. I've looked at the PC360s even tho there a bit out of my range and my dad who is a computer guy has shown me TB's z26a or something like that. My issue is I don't have a stand alone sound card but my motherboards sound card supports 7.1 I do not know if that's very relevant or not.

Please help me figure something out soon, I've been playing ArmA II : DayZ and about to play battlefield 3 without a headset and just cheapo "Inked or SC" earbuds.

I've also had alot of issues regarding the forums on such like Head-Fi on the audio terms. I'm not normally one to dive into such but if ya'll could clear up the terms that are used in audio that would be great.

I also can not get a mix amp. I'm looking for a headset/headphone + clip on which allows me to hear everything and tell the distance/direction I know it might be alot to ask for within my spending limit. Another thing I'm a bit confused on is I see people talking about 5.1 real, 5.1 sim 7.1 sim and all these others I know what SS is but I'm not sure on which is better to use in terms of direction and location of enemys/gunfire ect. I do not play to use these for anything else but gaming. I play everything even tho the title says "For FPS".

If you need anymore infomation please post I'll be checking it every 5-10 minutes.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
There are only two threads on Head-Fi that are worth reading for your purposes and I"ll link them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-14-2012-ultrasone-pro-900-added

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Personally, I use AD-700's with an X-Fi Titanium soundcard and a clip-on mic. The Headphones were about $105.00, the clip-on mic was $8.99, and the soundcard was 59.99. All of that comes in under your budget and in my opinion it's a better sound-setup for gaming than any headset that I have used, borrowed or tested. There are other headphones on Amazon from last year that are marked down significantly such as the AD-700's and they are all a good deal, if they have the sound features you want. Anyway, read through those 2 threads and they should largely answer your questions.

gravecross

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

I've looked at both of those guides but the nameless one was a bit confusing, and I've considered that but I'm not really willing at this point in time to install a sound card because I don't think I have to room with my 2 gpus in there.