[SOLVED] Headset jack touching metal io shield?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
I was plugging in my headset while I had it on,I plugged in one of the two jacks and the other jack accidentally touched the metal part of the io shield and I heard a noise where it sounded like it was a zap but I heard it through my headset so as if I was some kind of audio,idk if it’s the current or something but it happened again when I was trying to reproduce it, are there any signs of damage I should look out for?Or should I be good?

Solution
Hello, what you heard was most likely caused by a bit of excess static electricity in the io shield as it is connected to motherboard and pc ground. It should be perfectly fine and if it is working fine now then there should not be anything to worry about.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, what you heard was most likely caused by a bit of excess static electricity in the io shield as it is connected to motherboard and pc ground. It should be perfectly fine and if it is working fine now then there should not be anything to worry about.

Solution

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
Perfect,that’s what I thought as it would be metal on metal,it seems to be easy to replicate but my computer has turned on and has been running fine all day,are there any possible damages it could’ve caused?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
And all the parts of your PC are grounded so static wouldn't damage those either from just touching the io shield.
Ah,I see,good to know,I never plugged in my headset with it being on so never experienced this,so it couldn’t have done harm to my computer?Not just the headset,I mean I feel like I’m probably not the only one who’s dealt with this.is there any damage it would cause?and how would I find this damage?

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
No there won't be any damage to the headset or the pc and if there was damage, the pc probably wouldn't turn on or be acting really strangely or the headset wouldn't work but his little amount electricity is just excess static electricity and nothing to be worried about.