Question Headset microphone picks up desktop audio sounds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
Hello!
My headset microphone somehow catches up every desktop audio on windows 10,.
(Every app on windows 10 is like that. the mic hears the desktop audio voices like talking on discord or playing a video on Youtube. )

Last edited:
The problem is when you are using headphone's mic, sound conducts well in solid material, and more or less the sound will be transferred, it is not something to be solved easily.

I checked with my StellSeries Arctis 5 and it is not possible to get rid of Desktop sound, but yet possible to minimize by setting down the volume.

The solution is using a different mic.
Ummmmm...no.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
The problem is when you are using headphone's mic, sound conducts well in solid material, and more or less the sound will be transferred, it is not something to be solved easily.

I checked with my StellSeries Arctis 5 and it is not possible to get rid of Desktop sound, but yet possible to minimize by setting down the volume.

You can of course downvote me, if I am right, it would not change that I am right.

But I would prefer if you downvote me after you solve the problem.

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023

Okay.
So, do you have an explanation for this?: Why is my "headset mic" or whatever picking up the desktop audio even when the mic isn't plugged in or/and turned off with the button on the headset?

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Okay.
So, do you have an explanation for this?: Why is my "headset mic" or whatever picking up the desktop audio even when the mic isn't plugged in or/and turned off with the button on the headset?
I checked with my headphones, and you are right desktop audio is captured even when the headphone mic turned off. And also when I set my recorder to record from camera's mic, still at the background I can hear desktop audio, but its volume is far less, and probably from the bleed of the headphones.

For the first case, the button does not function fully, I don't know maybe consumer grade components just do not work expected, and for that reason people are paying more for professional headphones and sound cards.

But for you the solution is using separate mic. It is not the perfect solution, but best solution.

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
I checked with my headphones, and you are right desktop audio is captured even when the headphone mic turned off. And also when I set my recorder to record from camera's mic, still at the background I can hear desktop audio, but its volume is far less, and probably from the bleed of the headphones.

For the first case, the button does not function fully, I don't know maybe consumer grade components just do not work expected, and for that reason people are paying more for professional headphones and sound cards.

But for you the solution is using separate mic. It is not the perfect solution, but best solution.
I remember that one of my headsets mic didn't pick up desktop audio.
Do you know why?