[SOLVED] Headset microphone sounds terrible only on my laptop, despite trying pratically everything ?

Jan 24, 2021
I have a Hyperx Cloud Sting headset. Recently my friends on discord complained a lot about my mic quality. I tried to record my voice with windows 10 voice recorder and saw that my voice sounded very muffled and unclear with a lot of missed sounds like my mic didn't pick up my voice stable. I then tried recording on my phone and it sounded much much better. I went on to try as many solutions as I can find on google like:

Reinstall realtek audio driver
Voicemeeter banana
Disable mic enhancements
Uncheck exclusive mode
Set audio format to DVD quality

And nothing worked. One more thing is I have to set the microphone boost to +20db to be able to barely hear my voice. Below that the mic is just dead, no sound at all unless I shout.
After every failed attempt, I reckon it may be because of my laptop's soundcard. I swear the headset mic sounds very crispy and nice on my phone.

My laptop is the Asus ROG GL503VD

Last edited:
Solution
Laptop's sound card could indeed be the problem.

If the HyperX headset works properly on other devices it is likely not the culprit.

Try other known working headsets on your laptop. If the problem continues then the laptop's sound card is indeed suspect.

Probably worth running through the solutions once more.

You may pick up on something you missed: no harm in double-checking before getting the laptop serviced.

Ralston18

Titan
Laptop's sound card could indeed be the problem.

If the HyperX headset works properly on other devices it is likely not the culprit.

Try other known working headsets on your laptop. If the problem continues then the laptop's sound card is indeed suspect.

Probably worth running through the solutions once more.

You may pick up on something you missed: no harm in double-checking before getting the laptop serviced.

Solution