Question Headset no longer working since I switche monitor to HDMI.

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
I have a GA-Z77MX-D3H MB and recently installed a GTX-1060 to connect to my monitor via HDMI (it used to be via VGA + audio connected). Ever since then, my front pannel headset plug does not cut off the monitor speakers. As a result sund does not go to headsets at all

I checked the sound countrol option and it is set to output to my monitor (there are other options named Nvidia output).

The sound mixer is also using my monitor.

When I plug my headset, I still get a popup asking if I want to use the headset or microphone.

I played with the options on the VIA HD Audio Desk. It is set up to use SPDIF HDMI and to cut speakers when the headset is plugged in.

Anyone know how I can fix it so I can use either the headset or the monitor speakers?

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
I checked in all the sound settings and I cannot find anything that represents my headset plugs. All I have are my monitor, Nvidia outputs and SPDiF interface tx0 and tx1. The only devices shown as active are my monitor and those SPDIF.

I checked with my headphones plugged in.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not even when you click the Volume icon in the lower-right? On my system, when I do that, it'll show the currently selected output device, then have a little down-arrow so I can choose one of the other devices connected.

If it's not there, then I'd check the Device Manager to see if for some reason there's an error with your headphones.... something that started happening to a set of USB headphones of mine that just stopped working one day - the Device Manager showed an error for them.

Those are the two things I'd check next. If that doesn't work, then I'm beyond my personal experience on this.

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Still nothing resembling a headphone icon even if I just click the sound volume while it is connected.

I checked my device manager and I see no errors.

Here is my device manager list (sorry its in French):
show.php

Here is my VIA HD Autdio Deck sound control pannel. As soon as I plug or unplug my headset, it detects it.
show.php

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah, I meant just at the Windows 10 level, not even worrying about VIA.

Plug in your headset.

If you click on this icon:

6972_Volume_icon_on_taskbar_in_Windows_10.png

Then you should see something like this:
172425d1515874248-change-default-audio-playback-device-windows-10-a-audio_playback_device_volume_icon-2.jpg

Clicking on the ^ should bring a list of audio output devices available.